Ode to Chan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Qu'écoutez-vous?/What are you listening to?

+7
silent-machine
kian
changeling
Nathynat
Cokelike
Nicolaoua
Sab
11 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Qu'écoutez-vous?/What are you listening to? Empty Qu'écoutez-vous?/What are you listening to?

Post  Sab Sun 13 May - 19:42

Alors que Cokelike m'a fait découvrir quelques titres très intéressants (merci!), je me suis dit qu'il serait intéressant d'ouvrir un post afin de partager ses découvertes et /ou artistes préférés et ainsi permettre à d'autres de découvrir ou redécouvrir différents artistes. Qu'écoutez-vous? Quels sont les artistes qui vous transportent? Je suis plutôt curieuse de connaître vos goûts et de savoir si les fans de Chan ne sont pas également fans d'autres artistes!

*********************************************************************************************************************
(sorry for my poor english, do not hesitate to correct the following post Very Happy )
Whereas Cokelike made me discover some very interesting songs today (thank you!), I thought it would be quite interesting to write a post in order to share. What are you listening to these days? Which are the artists you prefer? I am rather curious to know your tastes and to know if the fans of Chan have other artists they like in common!
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Qu'écoutez-vous?/What are you listening to? Empty Re: Qu'écoutez-vous?/What are you listening to?

Post  Nicolaoua Sun 13 May - 20:28

Ces dernières années, j'ai écouté énormément Bob Dylan, dont j'ai quasiment toute la discographie.
En ce moment, je traverse une phase "Byrds" et "Nina Simone" mais l'essentiel de ma discothèque est composée de musique anglo-saxonne: Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Bowie mais aussi des trucs plus récents comme PJ Harvey, les White Stripes ou Fiona Apple et Anna Calvi.

Parmi mes essentiels, j'ai failli oublier Leonard Cohen.
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/Ode-to-Chan-the-Cat-Power-forum-5496916

Back to top Go down

Qu'écoutez-vous?/What are you listening to? Empty Re: Qu'écoutez-vous?/What are you listening to?

Post  Cokelike Sun 13 May - 21:18

Great topic, Sab!

I like pretty much any music that has some emotional qualities to it. A sense that the artist is trying to communicate how they feel or expressing something important to them. If I dont feel that coming from the music I usually dont get that interested.
I primarily listen to/love music from the 60's-70s, but all eras have some good music. Beatles (and solo Beatles), Stones, Hendrix, Joplin, The Who, Doors, Julie London, Billie Holiday, Neil Young, CSN, Laura Nyro, Velvet Underground, Nico, Nirvana, David Bowie, Harry Nilsson, Beach Boys, Louis Armstrong, Janis Ian, Bob Dylan, Jimmy Cliff, Stooges, MC5, Carpenters, Abba, Mazzy Star, Sonic Youth, REM, Janes Addiction.
Lately, I've been picking up as much Joni Mitchell on vinyl as possible. I just got her "Clouds" album and it's every bit as good as "Blue" and "Court And Spark". Joni made some incredible albums.
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Sun 13 May - 21:33

Cokelike wrote:
(and solo Beatles)

I forgot to put those on my list: i also have every solo albums from Lennon, Harrison and McCartney. Most of them on vinyl.
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Sun 13 May - 21:51

Paul Mccartney's "Ram" being reissued this month. My favorite of his albums. Whenever I see a vinyl copy I have to buy it. Same with Beatles "White Album".
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Invité Mon 14 May - 2:23

bands I listen to are Led zepp, pink floyd, abba, the smiths, guns n roses, metallica, bowie, madder rose, mogwai, the delgados, nirvana, some stuff from manic street preachers, white zombie, elastica, garbage, faith no more, rage against the machine, portishead, leftfield, chemical brothers.

Some newer stuff, scout niblett, duke spirit, pete and the pirates, sarabeth tucek, anni rossi, the love story, purson (the english band),
she keeps bees

Last edited by dirtybarry99 on Mon 14 May - 15:08; edited 1 time in total

Invité

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Mon 14 May - 6:28

Cokelike wrote:
Paul Mccartney's "Ram" being reissued this month. My favorite of his albums. Whenever I see a vinyl copy I have to buy it.

I suffer from the same disease: i have a french pressing, a Uk one and a US pressing too. Laughing
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Mon 14 May - 7:14

Qu'écoutez-vous?/What are you listening to? 100_0210

Smile

Such a good album. Never get tired of it. Favorite track is "Monkberry Moon Delight".
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Mon 14 May - 8:00

Nice collection! Wink
It reminds me that i've never heard Chan talking about The Beatles. They don't seem to be one of her major influences.
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Mon 14 May - 8:10

But she did collaborate with Yoko Ono. Would be interesting to hear what she thinks of the Beatles, though, for sure.
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Mon 14 May - 21:06

Et toi Sab, tu écoutes quoi?
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Tue 15 May - 9:58

Durant mon adolescence, c'était plutôt the Cure, R.E.M (dont je suis une fan absolue), Nirvana, Sonic Youth, David Bowie, the Doors, The Police.

Ensuite grosse période Tori Amos, Fiona Apple et PJ Harvey. Trois artistes que je continue à suivre et à apprécier. Pour moi, PJ Harvey a un parcours musical parfait, elle a su évoluer . Pour certains, elle s'est trop assagie, mais j'aime tous ses albums du premier au dernier.

Ces dernières années, je me suis penchée sur et ai apprécié Bon Iver, The Kills (la petite obsession du moment), Kate Bush, Fleet Foxes, Emilie Simon, The Smiths, Billie Holiday, Nina Simone et j'en oublie sûrement certains, mais j'y reviendrai.

Je commence à découvrir un peu plus les Stones aussi, que je ne connaissais qu'en surface. Pareil pour Dylan, j'approfondis mes connaissances qui ne sont que très maigres. Very Happy

Quant au Beatles, je les ai beaucoup écouté étant enfant et paradoxalement quasiment plus depuis. Shame on me, je sais. Very Happy
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Tue 15 May - 17:27

Sab wrote:Pareil pour Dylan, j'approfondis mes connaissances qui ne sont que très maigres. Very Happy

Tous les albums 60's de Dylan sont bien sûrs indispensables mais je conseille de commencer par les suivants:

-The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
-Highway 61 Revisited
-Blonde on Blonde
-John Wesley Harding

et Blood on the Tracks et Desire pour les 70's. Tout cela n'étant bien entendu que la partie haute de l'iceberg...
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Tue 15 May - 17:55

Nicolaoua wrote:

Tous les albums 60's de Dylan sont bien sûrs indispensables mais je conseille de commencer par les suivants:

-The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
-Highway 61 Revisited
-Blonde on Blonde
-John Wesley Harding

et Blood on the Tracks et Desire pour les 70's. Tout cela n'étant bien entendu que la partie haute de l'iceberg...

J'allais te demander conseil! Merci. Tout ce que j'ai en magasin pour le moment ce sont les albums The Bootleg Series, Vol. 9: The Witmark Demos (1962-1964) et Time out of Mind. Je vais de ce pas écouter ce que tu m'as conseillé!
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Tue 15 May - 18:34

Sab wrote:The Bootleg Series, Vol. 9: The Witmark Demos (1962-1964) et Time out of Mind. Je vais de ce pas écouter ce que tu m'as conseillé!

Le Bootleg 9 est je trouve un peu trop austère pour découvrir Dylan. Je l'écoute d'ailleurs très rarement. Time Out of Mind est son chef d’œuvre de sa période récente mais il faut apprivoiser sa voix, qui a beaucoup morflé avec les années. Moi j'adore.
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Tue 15 May - 19:02

Nicolaoua wrote:

Le Bootleg 9 est je trouve un peu trop austère pour découvrir Dylan. Je l'écoute d'ailleurs très rarement. Time Out of Mind est son chef d’œuvre de sa période récente mais il faut apprivoiser sa voix, qui a beaucoup morflé avec les années. Moi j'adore.

Première écoute de The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan et je viens de me prendre une belle baffe avec Down the Highway & Masters of War que je ne connaissais pas. Je te donnerai mes impressions après quelques écoutes supplémentaires. Merci en tous cas! Very Happy
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Wed 16 May - 7:10

Sab wrote:

Première écoute de The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan et je viens de me prendre une belle baffe

Ça peut faire cet effet là. Wink
Je me souviens que c'est surtout "A hard Rain's..." qui m'avait bluffé.
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Thu 24 May - 19:45

Cokelike wrote: Qu'écoutez-vous?/What are you listening to? 100_0210

Smile

Such a good album. Never get tired of it. Favorite track is "Monkberry Moon Delight".

After reading your post and Nicolaouas I was curious about it and bought it ...and wasn't disappointed! bounce What a a great album! My favorite tracks are "The Back Seat of my Car" , "Long Haired Lady" and the incredible "Monkberry Moon Delight". Shocked
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Thu 24 May - 20:46

I'm happy for you, RAM is a tremendous album, some kind of lost gem, only known nowadays by McCartney admirers.
I suggest you to read this french article about RAM written for french magazine "Les Inrockuptibles": http://www.lesinrocks.com/2001/06/12/musique/paul-mccartney-en-interview-exclusive-11218447/

Last edited by Nicolaoua on Fri 25 May - 6:22; edited 1 time in total
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Thu 24 May - 22:00

Merci! Bel article, jolie plume ("Parmi les disques les plus sous-évalués de l’histoire de la musique pop, Ram mérite peut-être une mention particulière du jury, une médaille d’honneur ou un trophée spécialement sculpté à son attention : une paire de cornes de bélier en or massif, symbolisant l’interminable cocufiage dont cet album est victime depuis sa sortie, il y a trente ans." Very Happy) et interview de McCartney très intéressante.
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Thu 24 May - 23:32

Sab wrote:After reading your post and Nicolaouas I was curious about it and bought it ...and wasn't disappointed! bounce What a a great album! My favorite tracks are "The Back Seat of my Car" , "Long Haired Lady" and the incredible "Monkberry Moon Delight". Shocked

Cool! Very Happy

Nicolaoua is right, a hidden gem. "Band On The Run" gets a lot of praise, but I still think Ram is the best thing he's done outside of the Beatles. I love the randomness of it, the wild guitar solos, crazy vocals, beautiful harmonies. I'm glad you like it!

You can hear individual tracks of "Monkberry Moon Delight" here (really cool!):
http://www.paulmccartney.com/web/guest/rude-studio

This movie wasnt all that good but I thought this clip was funny:

Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Fri 25 May - 6:31

Thank you, Cokelike.

Never saw that movie, but the clip is funny indeed. Very Happy
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Fri 25 May - 10:46

Unfortunately, you won't find many McCartney albums that sound as fresh as RAM. If you want to dig further, you can try of course the aforementioned "Band on the Run" but i would also suggest his first solo album, called "McCartney" and his first Wings album, "Wild Life".
Both albums are very often called "half baked" but it is also a part of their charm: they have a "loose" feeling. What he did next was much more controlled and lacked something, maybe honesty or spontaneity.

Qu'écoutez-vous?/What are you listening to? Mccartney_1970
McCartney (1970)

Qu'écoutez-vous?/What are you listening to? Wings-Wild-Life---Barco-537696
Wild Life (1971)
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Sat 26 May - 6:09

Merci!

Band on the Run faisant déjà partie de ma discothèque, je vais me pencher sur les deux autres prochainement!
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Sat 26 May - 8:31

Écoute les quand même avant d'acheter: ce ne sont pas des albums parfaits mais qui distillent un certain charme.
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next