Ode to Chan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10/21/13 - Brooklyn, NY, Glasslands, "An Elliott Smith Tribute Show"

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

10/21/13 - Brooklyn, NY, Glasslands, "An Elliott Smith Tribute Show"  - Page 2 Empty Re: 10/21/13 - Brooklyn, NY, Glasslands, "An Elliott Smith Tribute Show"

Post  Nicolaoua Fri 25 Oct - 22:00

Between the bars 3
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/Ode-to-Chan-the-Cat-Power-forum-5496916

Back to top Go down

10/21/13 - Brooklyn, NY, Glasslands, "An Elliott Smith Tribute Show"  - Page 2 Empty Re: 10/21/13 - Brooklyn, NY, Glasslands, "An Elliott Smith Tribute Show"

Post  Cokelike Sun 27 Oct - 0:08

(fragarock)
10/21/13 - Brooklyn, NY, Glasslands, "An Elliott Smith Tribute Show"  - Page 2 4710
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Sun 27 Oct - 5:53

Angeles 2:
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Wed 30 Oct - 3:22

(vonzumwalt)
10/21/13 - Brooklyn, NY, Glasslands, "An Elliott Smith Tribute Show"  - Page 2 4810
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Fri 1 Nov - 8:03

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2013/10/elliott_smith_t_1.html

Comment from the organizer, Jen Brown:

My first post that didn't go up for some reason shared with people that Chan printed lyrics because she wasn't planning on playing ES songs initially. She didn't want to because he was such a good musician and she didn't want to mess anything up...but then I guess she wondered how she could NOT play them, considering so many other acts were playing them. She also told me that she knew and loved his music, but she didn't know his songs that well because at the time when they were touring together, she was going through her own personal stuff and couldn't even stay in the room while he was playing.
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Wed 20 Nov - 7:10

Between The Bars 5:
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Sat 14 Dec - 23:22

Cokelike wrote:
On the subject of Elliott Smith, just how much contact did Chan have with him? Has anyone ever seen a picture of them together? Just curious.

Allow me to answer my own question. 

12/XX/13 - Coaker Interview Part 2 (8:40) - http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/hok1-08g7n8/

I posted this in the Interviews topic, but it deserves to be posted here too. In the last 4 or so minutes of this interview, she is asked about the Elliott Smith tribute concert, and these are the most in-depth comments I have heard from Chan regarding Elliott Smith. 

Chan talks about opening for him in Europe 1998 and confirms that she did spend time with him in Australia when they both toured there separately. And finally, she reveals that he reached out to her, some time after he left the hospital after being beaten by the Los Angeles Police and shortly before he passed away. I assume she is referring to the 11/25/02 Flaming Lips concert incident. 

3/20/03, Under The Radar Interview with Elliott Smith:
As long as we are dispelling rumors, it seems appropriate to touch on the events of the Flaming Lips/Beck show on November 25th, 2002. Although Smith went into great detail about his run-in with the law at the show, the particulars must remain off the record due to a pending court case. What can be said is that Smith and his girlfriend were victims of needless police brutality by off-duty officers working security for the event. Although Smith claims he did not physically assault any of the officers, he was assaulted and arrested without probable cause, and he was not read his Miranda rights. Both he and Jennifer Chiba spent the night in jail without the benefit of even seeing Beck's set. Smith also sustained a hefty back injury from the arresting officer and is now on a strict regiment of pain pills.

Very interesting stuff.
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2