Ode to Chan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12/12/03 - Portland, OR, McMenamin's Crystal Ballroom

2 posters

Go down

12/12/03 - Portland, OR, McMenamin's Crystal Ballroom Empty 12/12/03 - Portland, OR, McMenamin's Crystal Ballroom

Post  Cokelike Thu 19 Jul - 2:16

12/12/03 - Portland, OR, McMenamin's Crystal Ballroom

Chan plays the first of 3 dates opening for Sleater-Kinney. The concerts were 12/12/03, Portland, and 12/13/03 and 12/14/03, at Seattle.

12/12/03 - Portland, OR, McMenamin's Crystal Ballroom 12-12-10

12/12/03 - Portland, OR, McMenamin's Crystal Ballroom 12-12-11
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

12/12/03 - Portland, OR, McMenamin's Crystal Ballroom Empty Short Review

Post  Cokelike Fri 30 Nov - 8:30

This is for whoever keeps coming back to this topic. Smile

http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-2747-wws_teen_on_the_scene_at_s_k.html

Waiting in the clusters of Converse-clad middle-schoolers camped in front of the stage at the Crystal Ballroom Friday night, I felt old. That's a rare feeling for a 17-year-old, but it was there, amid the swarming clumps of radioactive children who had stood in a line stretching around the block to squeeze into the sold-out venue for the Sleater-Kinney show. Waiting through the Minders and Cat Power, the fans were obviously anxious. The Minders came on feeling poppy and gentle, while Chan Marshall's nervously hushed vocals gave strength to the raw, anguished ballads of Cat Power, leaving the few paying attention swaying.

But 45 minutes of standing and swaying was a bit much for 17-year-old legs. Luckily, S-K was on deck and the dancing would begin. Almost immediately after taking the stage, the three Portland ladies erased age, replacing it with energy. Playing through a set that relied heavily on last year's One Beat (Kill Rock Stars), the trio fed off of the crowd's elation and gave it right back. After a few songs, we responded with an erupting mosh pit until guitarist Carrie Brownstein told us to continue dancing, minus the elbows. A few did fly during the lengthy set, but they were stopped by scattered adults. By the time the second encore ended, the buses had stopped running, leaving the city's children drenched, yet satisfied. (Adina Lepp)
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

12/12/03 - Portland, OR, McMenamin's Crystal Ballroom Empty Re: 12/12/03 - Portland, OR, McMenamin's Crystal Ballroom

Post  Nicolaoua Fri 30 Nov - 9:18

Were Sleater Kinney big in the USA? I suppose that now they would open Cat Power instead of the opposite, wouldn't they?
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/Ode-to-Chan-the-Cat-Power-forum-5496916

Back to top Go down

12/12/03 - Portland, OR, McMenamin's Crystal Ballroom Empty Re: 12/12/03 - Portland, OR, McMenamin's Crystal Ballroom

Post  Cokelike Fri 30 Nov - 9:26

I only heard of them years ago, but never listened to them. I dont think they were ever that big. I only vaguely remember seeing one of their videos on MTV back in the day. I came across their setlist for this show and they played a song called "Not What You Want". But its not the Cat Power song, its one of their own.
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down