Ode to Chan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Documentary?

3 posters

Go down

Documentary? Empty Documentary?

Post  ColossalSky Fri 26 Jun - 7:07

Does Chan have an official Documentary of her life and music? I was thinking maybe i could compilate Tons of clips and old interviews, get some voice over and get something good going. any thoughts¿?
ColossalSky
ColossalSky

Back to top Go down

Documentary? Empty Re: Documentary?

Post  Cokelike Sat 27 Jun - 18:02

There is no documentary about her at present. The closest thing is some of the Makers Interviews from 2012 where she talks about the beginning of her career. I have also had this idea. There are certainly enough video and audio interviews to piece something really cool together. I just really havent had the time to work on this. I have so many projects I want to work on. 

Just to start with, if I were to start a project like this I would use the following:

Not sure where to place this... probably somewhere near the beginning, but the documentary would have to include the Kid Songs with Cat Power clip. Possibly right at the very beginning of the whole thing... not sure.

Also use:

Makers Interview (2012) - She talks about the beginning of her career.
Austin City Limits Interview (2006) - Talks about singing "The Gambler" as a child.  
Soft Focus Interview (2007) 
Canvas Connection (2012) 

But, I guess I would have to sit and watch all the interviews all over again to get an idea of which ones have the parts that are most relevant to telling her story. Some stories she has told a couple times, so you want to use the best version of each story that has the most information. 

Parts of her Music Videos would undoubtably have to be included. 

As far as live clips go, the sky is the limit. But, I do think there are some clips that would be essential. Here is a list of sources:

The 1992 live clip. 
Some of the 1/4/95 full length concert. (whichever song would fit best). 
XX/XX/95, Athens, GA clip
12/12/96, Nude As The News TV clip
Some 1998 concert clips
1999 The Joint TV clip
3/24/03 - Maybe Not TV clip
6/27/03 - Porto clip
9/15/06 - Austin City Limits
11/27/06 - Rolling Stone Session
12/7/06 - Rennes (this pro-shot concert would be a great way to introduce the DDBB into the story)
1/23/07 - Chanel Show (I always envisioned using part of this concert and overlaying a bunch of her fashion photos to tell the part of her story where she did a lot of modeling). 
2/14/07 - Brit Awards
2007 - There should be a part where she talks about meeting Bob Dylan with live clip of Song To Bobby included (yeah, I know this is obvious). 
2008 - Jukebox Era - tons of TV/live clips to choose from... prehaps use the 4/1/08 Metal Heart TV clip.. not sure, need to watch all clips. 
2008 - Singing with Neil Young, at least a partial clip should be included of this.
10/2/10 - Matador at 21 - parts of this could be used. 
Ruin Announcement video
Manhattan TV clip
Bully - Jool Holland
Sun tour videos - maybe parts of Bonneroo (like the part where she passes out water), Glastonbury, Latitude, Montreux Jazz, need to check to see best parts. 
Return to Solo touring - There are some crazy moments as well as transcendent moments that could be culled together into a very interesting montage to kind of sum up her career at this point. 

I would love to have the time to sort through all the audio and video and find enough parts of her talking about her music, her career and make a kind of framework of commentary in her own words. Sometimes I think having someone do a voice over in addition to her own words would work better. I am not sure. And of course then there is the length of time. How much is too long? What stuff is really essential and what isnt? It would take a long time for me to whittle all the key parts of her career into a cohesive whole. I am also missing a number of videos which I think I would probably want to use, like her 2003 MTV appearance, for example. But certainly there is enough material to create something really cool for fans as well as people who are new to her music. 

Please keep me informed on your ideas/progress on this. I would love to help anyway I can.  Smile
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Sun 28 Jun - 17:45

I would add something about her part in Wong Kar Wai's My Blueberry Nights and in the mysterious "The American Widow".
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/Ode-to-Chan-the-Cat-Power-forum-5496916

Back to top Go down

Post  ColossalSky Sun 14 Feb - 4:28

After studying some film form and experimenting in animation shorts with my carreer these months i'm starting the pre-production of a Chan documentary, i'll start downloading every relevant clip withh it''s reference i can to have a script to go by. i thin voice over to narrate her story would be nice so i think it'll be on the board.  ill try to post my updates on it regularly and for anything you need you can contact me on

orangedespair@gmail.com
ColossalSky
ColossalSky

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Mon 15 Feb - 10:23

Be careful though, there must be copyrighted material among these interviews! Wink
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/Ode-to-Chan-the-Cat-Power-forum-5496916

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Tue 16 Feb - 17:50

ColossalSky wrote: ill try to post my updates on it regularly 

Please do, I would love to help with this, if I can find some time.
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  ColossalSky Tue 8 Mar - 22:57

already have a bunch of interviews from each album release, i send a message about this project a week ago on instagram about the project and if she would like it to happen but didn't get an asnwer.

still deciding what parts of her personal life would be nice to have in it.

if anyone would help me making a script for a posible voice over would be nice. we could make a google doc.
ColossalSky
ColossalSky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down