Ode to Chan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Would the Community Think - 1996

2 posters

Go down

What Would the Community Think - 1996 Empty What Would the Community Think - 1996

Post  Nicolaoua Mon 3 Oct - 13:07

Premier album chez Matador

What Would the Community Think - 1996 What_would_the_community_think

"In This Hole" – 4:59
"Good Clean Fun" – 4:46
"What Would the Community Think" – 4:30
"Nude as the News" – 4:23
"They Tell Me" – 2:53
"Taking People" – 3:25
"The Fate of the Human Carbine" (Peter Jefferies) – 2:58
"King Rides By" – 4:03
"Bathysphere" (Bill Callahan) – 3:01
"Water & Air" – 4:43
"Enough" – 4:25
"The Coat Is Always On" – 3:34

Last edited by Nicolaoua on Sat 3 Mar - 13:09; edited 1 time in total
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/Ode-to-Chan-the-Cat-Power-forum-5496916

Back to top Go down

What Would the Community Think - 1996 Empty Information on Cover Art

Post  Cokelike Tue 28 Feb - 8:20

From Chan's interview with Gail O'Hara for Chickfactor, 1996:

Are you happy with it?

Chan: I am cause I got to do things, I got to direct it a little. And the other times, we didn't do
anything, we just pressed record. This time I got to branch out and figure out where I thought it
should go. But I was really sick.

Did you have a producer?

Chan: Actually, Steve (Shelley) basically was like a manager or something, he made the calls, he held my head on straight the whole time. He's the one that had the whip. I was really sick. Doug and Davis-Doug Easley seemed to have a pretty perceptive sense about what I wanted, what was natural to what we were. He really helped us.

------------------------------------

From Chan's interview with Steve Tignor for Puncture, Summer 1996:

Chan: The album (What Would the Community Think) is more technical. I've learned how to work in a studio and control things. I'm doing the cover art for it, and I have these tech type things in mind.

From Chan's interview with Weedbus fanzine, Autumn 1996:

Chan: I got insecure when people said they didn't like the sound so I spent my entire Matador advance at Easley Studios in Memphis getting it just right. Tim and Steve are really good musicians, they picked it up really quickly.

From Chan's interview with Matt for the "Cool Beans" publication, 5/2/97:

What is that on the cover of What Would the Community Think?

Chan: The cover of the record? I just needed a cover and I had this postcard that I've had for a long time. It's this woman from the 70's in New York and they did this collage of cigarette ads and she whited out the eyes and instead of a cigarette she had a whistle. It's no big deal, I just cut out the center of her face and put mine on top. It made it look more real.
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

What Would the Community Think - 1996 Empty Re: What Would the Community Think - 1996

Post  Cokelike Sat 23 Aug - 21:45

From the XX/XX/97 Spunk Magazine Interview:

"Nude As The News is a fantastic song. When did you write it and where did the title come from?

Chan: I wrote it around the winter of '95... after I'd met Patti Smith. Jackson, Jessie, are the names of her kids... It's also a parallel with Jessie Jackson who's a religious; more political leader here- Reverend Jessie Jackson. I just thought I' call it that because we all have a similar energy and we're all wasting our bodies with drugs and alcohol y'know and lies; we lie to ourselves and we can do better than that. It's like a hymn to be strong, that's all. But ''Nude As The News'' was not in the song. When I wrote the song, I just called it "The News'' and then when we went to record, I sang, 'Nude As The News' in the song.
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

What Would the Community Think - 1996 Empty Re: What Would the Community Think - 1996

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down