Ode to Chan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your thoughts about SUN? / Que pensez-vous de l'album?

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Your thoughts about SUN? / Que pensez-vous de l'album? Empty Your thoughts about SUN? / Que pensez-vous de l'album?

Post  Nicolaoua Tue 4 Sep - 18:42

In order to keep the SUN topic readable, we'll keep sharing our feelings about this album on this topic.

Here is what i wrote in the other topic:

"Na, nana, na na na na, na, nana, nana na, na.... music

As promised, here are my first impressions after my first listening. Honestly, i feel some kind of pressure right now. I wouldn't want to disappoint you...

First, i want to listen to it again right now, which is a good sign. The coda of Peace and Love has just finished and i must admit that i don't know what to think about the album yet. Listening for the first time to an album that you have been waiting for for such a long time is a very special experience. Apart from Cherokee and Ruin that i already knew and that may be the best songs on the album, the track that stand out is Manhattan. It's the first time on the album where i recognized "my" Cat Power, where i could really feel the emotion carried by the voice without any obvious trick of production. In fact, i felt that the record was really starting with this song because i also really enjoyed Silent Machine. The problem was and is that i already knew this song which is one my favourite from Cat Power. I love the 1998 Berkeley concert version of this song, that i consider as its ultimate version, and i must admit that it was difficult to forget it in order to focus on this 2012 version. Anyway i was singing out loud at the end of the song, which is also a good sign...

Nothin but time was also a great moment and i would not remove any single minute of it. As i read it somewhere, it would have made a perfect ending for the record.
But Peace and Love is cool too. It shows us a groovy version of Chan Marshall, with a song that i don't really know how to describe. Is it a rap? Anyway, it suits her well, even if it might shock the people who only know "The Greatest" side of her.

I'll need more time for the other songs. I was not very impressed by SUN (the song, not the album) that sounded a bit like a filler. 3,6,9 sounded cool but i'll need time as well for this one.
I don't remember Always on my own, nor Real Life. Embarassed
Human Being seemed too short.

I'm not sure that i like the auto-tune thing on the couple of songs where it's been used. It feels awkward but it's only a first impression...

So, i really loved half of the album and i would love to love the other half. It might come with next listening...

PS: after Real Life i couldn't believe that i had already listened half of the album. I was desperately waiting for the song who would knock me down. And it was Manhattan.

Ok guys, let's read your thoughts about this record now. You've been kind enough to wait for me, now is the time for your words..."

And later:

"I've started the second listening and...i'm dancing on the track SUN! very happy I have the feeling that this album is a "grower"..."

"Definitely a grower! happy A great, great record. I was a bit afraid after the first listening but i'm totally into it now. I feel relieved and very proud of Chan. I would put it among my favourite Cat Power records, in a completely different style."

"Going through my first listening of the day, first tears spotted, finally.

You know what? This album looks so much like the Chan Marshall that i know through her interviews: it brims of life (is it proper english? Laughing ), it goes in so many different directions and it's totally brilliant. sunny "

"SUN could be her best album, i don't know but it's without a doubt her most exciting. It's exhilarating. Very Happy "
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/Ode-to-Chan-the-Cat-Power-forum-5496916

Back to top Go down

Your thoughts about SUN? / Que pensez-vous de l'album? Empty Re: Your thoughts about SUN? / Que pensez-vous de l'album?

Post  silent-machine Tue 4 Sep - 19:06

When Sun was officially announced and "Ruin" was released, I instantly fell in love and was dying from excitement. Soon after came "Cherokee" which I was not a fan of and quite honestly really lowered my expectations for the album. After that came the leak, which I gave into and downloaded. Initially I really really disliked it and was especially upset about "Silent Machine", which is my favorite song of her's which was now rerecorded and completely changed. After a few more listens, I have warmed up to a few of the songs. As a whole I must admit that it is my least favorite Cat Power album. I would have much preferred a slow album like The Covers Record, which I believe was the original intent, prior to her friend telling her, "this is too sad, this is just like the old Cat Power." That is the Cat Power that I fell in love with, and this new electronic album I am not fond of.
silent-machine
silent-machine

http://breethsmoke.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Your thoughts about SUN? / Que pensez-vous de l'album? Empty Re: Your thoughts about SUN? / Que pensez-vous de l'album?

Post  Nicolaoua Tue 4 Sep - 19:34

Sometime changes are difficult to accept. Hopefully i never had this problem for the artists i like. When Radiohead released "Kid A" for instance, i was puzzled at first and it ended up being my favourite Radiohead album!
Apart from Cherokee, what are the other songs that you still have problems with?
You are the second person on this forum who don't like Cherokee. Did you like previous versions of this song?
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Tue 4 Sep - 20:00

I'm doing just like you Nicolaoua and repost my previous comment here:

"Finally!!! Yaaay!

This album is very very good. I really love it although I was rather surprised by the "alien" sound of the synths sometimes (Sun for ex). Like she said in interviews, she experimented a lot and she certainly have a lot of fun doing it. The auto tune doesn't bother me.

I love Manhattan it's my favorite one (with Ruins), I was really shaken after hearing this song the first time. It's very catchy, touching and nostalgic.

I also really like Silent Machine (with a bluesy Chan), 3, 6, 9 (very catchy), and Nothin But Time (This song was apparently wrote for Ribisi's daughter Lucia, whatta a beautiful gift for a teenage girl, so optimistic and triumphant but in my opinion Iggy doesn't offer more to the song...but the song is great. It makes me think of an anthem).

I also really like Always on my own. I like the drums. Make me think of the old Chan from Dear Sir/Myra Lee era.

I don't like Human Being and Cherokee. I tried though... I had the same feeling for Real Life when I first heard it but now I really enjoy it.

Peace and love is great, make me think of a protest song. It sounds a little like hip hop.

This album is also one of my favorite now."
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  silent-machine Tue 4 Sep - 20:58

Nicolaoua wrote:Sometime changes are difficult to accept. Hopefully i never had this problem for the artists i like. When Radiohead released "Kid A" for instance, i was puzzled at first and it ended up being my favourite Radiohead album!
Apart from Cherokee, what are the other songs that you still have problems with?
You are the second person on this forum who don't like Cherokee. Did you like previous versions of this song?

The only songs I can really say that I enjoy are Ruin, 369, Manhattan, and Nothing But Time.
silent-machine
silent-machine

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Tue 4 Sep - 21:14

silent-machine wrote:
Nicolaoua wrote:Sometime changes are difficult to accept. Hopefully i never had this problem for the artists i like. When Radiohead released "Kid A" for instance, i was puzzled at first and it ended up being my favourite Radiohead album!

The only songs I can really say that I enjoy are Ruin, 369, Manhattan, and Nothing But Time.

I feel for you, it must be difficult.
Especially because Peace and Love kicks ass! Wink
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  silent-machine Tue 4 Sep - 23:05

Ok so I just got my deluxe preorder in the mail about an hour ago. The first bonus song, "Back In The Day" is haunting. By far my favorite thing from this album. Amazing.
silent-machine
silent-machine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Wed 5 Sep - 17:58

silent-machine wrote:Ok so I just got my deluxe preorder in the mail about an hour ago. The first bonus song, "Back In The Day" is haunting. By far my favorite thing from this album. Amazing.

This track is sick!!! Shocked clap Beautiful and as you said haunting.

Fire is soooooo great too. So touching. I love you

These two bonus tracks are wonderful gifts! They made my day.
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Wed 5 Sep - 18:03

Sab wrote:
silent-machine wrote:Ok so I just got my deluxe preorder in the mail about an hour ago. The first bonus song, "Back In The Day" is haunting. By far my favorite thing from this album. Amazing.

Du coup je remercie bien fort le distributeur du disque, sans qui je n'aurais jamais pu revivre une deuxième fois cet été ce formidable moment de frustration qui mène au plaisir que représente l'attente d'un disque . Laughing
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Wed 5 Sep - 18:08

Nicolaoua wrote:
Sab wrote:

Du coup je remercie bien fort le distributeur du disque, sans qui je n'aurais jamais pu revivre une deuxième fois cet été ce formidable moment de frustration qui mène au plaisir que représente l'attente d'un disque . Laughing

Crying or Very sad Je compatis, l'ami.
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Wed 5 Sep - 18:12

Sab wrote:

C'est gentil mais en fait ça va: les 11 titres de l'album me suffisent amplement dans un premier temps. La deuxième fournée bonus sera la cerise sur le gâteau: le petit cadeau supplémentaire qui viendra récompenser mon attente. Non parce qu'il faut bien se rendre compte que malgré les bonnes dispositions actuelles de Chan, les prochains inédits on risque de les attendre un peu quand même...
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Wed 5 Sep - 18:22

Nicolaoua wrote:
Sab wrote:

C'est gentil mais en fait ça va: les 11 titres de l'album me suffisent amplement dans un premier temps. La deuxième fournée bonus sera la cerise sur le gâteau: le petit cadeau supplémentaire qui viendra récompenser mon attente. Non parce qu'il faut bien se rendre compte que malgré les bonnes dispositions actuelles de Chan, les prochains inédits on risque de les attendre un peu quand même...

Oui, c'est clair...même si le matos est déjà enregistré, ça m'étonnerait qu'elle ait le temps de sortir un autre album rapidement. Entre la tournée, les projets de réalisation, de cinéma, d'écriture et de restauration, je sens qu'il va falloir être patients. Cela dit, je veux bien poireauter à nouveau qqes années si c'est pour avoir un album de cette qualité. Je le trouvais déjà incroyable, mais avec les bonus je suis soufflée. Ces deux titres sont du grand Chan Marshall. Là, je m'emballe peut-être un peu, mais pour moi ce sont deux petits chefs d'oeuvre. prosterne
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Wed 5 Sep - 18:34

Sab wrote: Là, je m'emballe peut-être un peu, mais pour moi ce sont deux petits chefs d'oeuvre. prosterne

Non mais en fait là tu me donnes quand même très envie d'être en fin de semaine prochaine que je l'ai dans les mains. bounce
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Wed 5 Sep - 19:07

Nicolaoua wrote:
Sab wrote: Là, je m'emballe peut-être un peu, mais pour moi ce sont deux petits chefs d'oeuvre. prosterne

Non mais en fait là tu me donnes quand même très envie d'être en fin de semaine prochaine que je l'ai dans les mains. bounce

Je ne veux pas remuer le couteau dans la plaie ni saouler tout le monde, mais ces deux titres sont hallucinants! En particulier Back in the days. Je les écoute en boucle depuis 1h.

Back in the Days is so mesmerizing! Can't stop listening to those two bonus tracks. I'm amazed.
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Thu 6 Sep - 7:22

I woke up with Nohin But Time and Manhattan in my head. Probably my favourite new songs on the album. Nothin But Time...when i hear this song i have the feeling that i'm flying. I love you
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Thu 6 Sep - 7:43

Nicolaoua wrote:
I woke up with Nohin But Time and Manhattan in my head. Probably my favourite new songs on the album. Nothin But Time...when i hear this song i have the feeling that i'm flying. I love you

Manhattan I love you The best track of the album in my opinion.

What do you think of Iggy Pop in Nothin but time? I really like this song, a positive song that can cheer you up when you're feelin' down...
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Thu 6 Sep - 15:46

Je recopie ce que je viens d'écrire sur le blog. Ce n'est pas ce que j'ai écrit de mieux dans ma vie mais j'ai encore du mal à mettre en mots les sensations procurées par cet album...

La bonne nouvelle, c'est que SUN est l'album extraordinaire que l'on attendait.
La mauvaise nouvelle, c'est qu'il vous faudra au moins 2 écoutes pour vous en apercevoir.

Le coda de Love and Peace à peine terminé, il faut se rendre à l'évidence: on vient de se prendre une claque dans la figure et on ne l'avait pas vu venir. La parution de King Rides By en décembre aurait pourtant dû nous avertir: la suite s'annonçait bien plus aventureuse que nous ne le pensions. Une impression qui se confirmait avec les singles Ruin et Cherokee au début de l'été. Chan Marshall s'apprêtait à nous livrer un album au son très travaillé, et à la production particulièrement moderne. C'est donc avec un brin d'anxiété mêlée d'excitation que j'ai écouté ce disque...

La première minute de Cherokee nous laisse en terrain connu: Cat Power vient nous susurrer de sa voix magique des mots sombres où il est question d'amour et de douleur. Tout bascule pourtant dès l'apparition d'un beat très important qui propulse instantanément le titre dans une autre dimension. Par la magie du multipiste, la voix de Chan Marshall se répond alors à elle-même dans une sorte de chant choral, apportant à cette chanson une profondeur et une texture qui donnent le ton de l'album.

La chanson SUN vient chasser sur d'autres terres, encore plus audacieuses mais aussi plus difficiles d'accès. Je n'ai pas eu le coup de foudre pour ce titre, où le synthé se taille la part du lion et où l'on distingue même l'utilisation d'auto-tune sur la voix de Chan Marshall. "Sacrilège!" crieront certains, cependant force est de reconnaitre que cette instrumentation et ces effets ne manquent finalement pas d'audace et finissent par emporter l'adhésion de l'auditeur initialement déboussolé.

Ruin est le morceau le plus mélodique du disque, et probablement le plus dansant de tout la discographie de Cat Power. Une réussite incontestable qui nous prouve si besoin était que l'artiste est capable de composer un vrai titre Pop.

3,6,9 est lui aussi un titre au rythme enlevé mais qui fera peut-être tiquer par son utilisation très ludique de l'auto-tune.

Avec Always on my own débute une séquence du disque qui peut nécessiter un peu de temps pour l'apprivoiser complètement. On retrouvera sur Always on my own des échos de la Cat Power de Moon Pix, tout comme sur Human Being d'ailleurs. Entre ces 2 chansons, Real Life est le titre qui m'a le moins marqué sur le disque mais je n'ai pas encore abdiqué à son sujet.

L'apparition de Manhattan lance déjà le sprint final pour un crescendo émotionnel que l'on n'est pas prêt d'oublier...

Manhattan est l'âme de ce disque, une bouleversante déclaration d'amour à New York, traversée par la nostalgie de tous ces amis trop tôt disparus que l'on ne reverra plus. Un classique instantané à ranger à côté des plus belles réussites de Cat Power. Silent Machine vous entraîne ensuite dans un Rock syncopé à la mélodie imparable. Il n'est pas interdit de danser.

L'avant-dernière chanson, Nothin but Time, est le titan de ce disque, un hymne à la vie de 11 minutes, véritable anti-dépresseur à mettre à dispostion de tous sans ordonnance. On pense bien sûr au "Heroes" de Bowie, auquel Chan Marshall rendrait ici hommage, mais aussi à l'euphorisant Hey Jude des Beatles. A noter la présence d'Iggy Pop qui vient prêter sa voix à Chan Marshall en cours de route et qui renforce la connexion avec Bowie. L'album aurait pu se terminer glorieusement sur cette réussite totale, mais la songwriter nous cachait une dernière surprise...
Peace and Love, la chanson qui vient clore le disque, est une sorte de hip-hop enfievré et hallucinant sur lequel une Cat Power déchainée et en colère vient régler ses comptes avec l'état du monde. KO debout.

Au moment où j'écris ces lignes je ne sais pas si c'est le meilleur album de Cat Power, je peux en revanche vous assurer que c'est le plus excitant.
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Fri 7 Sep - 19:11

Nice review Nico!

Cokelike, I was wondering what's your opinion about the two bonus tracks. Do you like them?
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Fri 7 Sep - 19:35

Sab wrote:Nice review Nico!

Thank you! I should try to write it in english but i'm not too sure about that. Laughing
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Fri 7 Sep - 19:42

Nicolaoua wrote:
Sab wrote:Nice review Nico!

Thank you! I should try to write it in english but i'm not too sure about that. Laughing

Je te comprends! Wink

Toujours en mode repeat avec Nothing But Time? Very Happy
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Fri 7 Sep - 19:54

Sab wrote:

J'ai une très grosse préférence pour la seconde moitié de l'album. En ce moment j'ai tendance à surtout écouter l'enchainement Manhattan/Silent Machine/Nothin but Time/Peace and Love, qui me met à genoux à chaque fois.
Nothin but Time est vraiment obsédante et me rend euphorique. Vraiment. sunny
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Fri 7 Sep - 20:04

Nicolaoua wrote:
Sab wrote:

J'ai une très grosse préférence pour la seconde moitié de l'album. En ce moment j'ai tendance à surtout écouter l'enchainement Manhattan/Silent Machine/Nothin but Time/Peace and Love, qui me met à genoux à chaque fois.
Nothin but Time est vraiment obsédante et me rend euphorique. Vraiment. sunny

Tout pareil que toi. (y'a pas de smiley "brosse à reluire pour les pompes du chef"? Laughing )

J'ai un net penchant pour la seconde moitié (+ les bonus tracks, tu l'auras compris). J'ai plus de mal avec la première moitié, hormis Always on my own et Ruin quand même. Very Happy
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Fri 7 Sep - 20:14

Sur la première moitié je mets au dessus Cherokee et Ruin. Les autres me touchent moins, ce qui ne veut pas dire qu'elles ne me plaisent pas. Arf, je rajoute également Human Being quand même. Laughing
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Fri 7 Sep - 20:36

Nicolaoua wrote:Arf, je rajoute également Human Being quand même. Laughing

J'accroche pas avec Human Being. A la première écoute, je suis restée un peu dubitative face à ce titre, à Sun (qui curieusement m'a fait penser à ce titre tout pourri des années 90: et à Real Life.

Real Life a finalement fait son petit bonhomme de chemin jusqu'à moi et maintenant je l'écoute avec plaisir. En revanche, je suis toujours hermétique à Sun et Human Being.
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Fri 7 Sep - 20:49

Laughing L'intro fait en effet un peu penser à ça.

Dans un genre différent, Manhattan m'a beaucoup rappelé Florence & The Machine et son "Dog Days are over":

Je n'échange pas mon baril de Manhattan contre 2 de "Dog Days" mais il y a clairement une ressemblance par endroits.
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next