Ode to Chan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cat Power and movies

4 posters

Go down

Cat Power and movies Empty Cat Power and movies

Post  Nathynat Sun 24 Jun - 9:16

Puisqu'elle veut devenir comédienne, j'aurais hâte de la découvrir ainsi!
Tellement touchante déjà dans sa courte apparition dans "My Bluberry nights"
Nathynat
Nathynat

Back to top Go down

Cat Power and movies Empty Re: Cat Power and movies

Post  Cokelike Sun 24 Jun - 9:21

Great topic. She was good in the Blueberry Nights movie. I wasnt really into the movie itself though. What I really want to see is "The American Widow" movie she was in. Has anyone here seen that?

Thats on my list of stuff to get, along with "Wayne County Ramblin", because she did a song thats only in that movie and there is no soundtrack CD available.
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathynat Sun 24 Jun - 9:27

Cool! No, i have never seen "The American Widow". I will try to find this two movies Very Happy
Nathynat
Nathynat

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Sun 24 Jun - 9:56

J'ai déplacé le sujet dans cette section du forum que je rebaptise pour l'occasion "the world of Cat Power", qui me parait plus en rapport avec le contenu.
Excellente idée de topic. Y'a plus qu'a!
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/Ode-to-Chan-the-Cat-Power-forum-5496916

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathynat Sun 24 Jun - 11:35

Tu as bien fait, je ne savais pas trop bien où le déposer moi même Smile
Cokelike, I have not found a link to see The American Widow, I will look for more Wink
Nathynat
Nathynat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Sun 24 Jun - 13:32

Never had the chance to see The American Widow but saw her in My Blueberry Nights. Sh'e so adorable... I love you

You can also see her here:

It's a documentation of the exhibition of Doug Aitken "Sleepwalkers" at MOMA in NYC in 2007.

Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Thu 28 Jun - 15:18

Cokelike wrote:
Great topic. She was good in the Blueberry Nights movie. I wasnt really into the movie itself though. What I really want to see is "The American Widow" movie she was in. Has anyone here seen that?

I've never heard about this film before reading this topic!
I've been looking on the net if it was available somewhere but i couldn't find it. It looks like it hasn't been released on DVD. It must be some kind of avant-garde movie. It's also a 5 hours long film...
It'll probably remain an enigma for some time.
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Cat Power and movies Empty "An American Widow"

Post  Cokelike Tue 28 Aug - 4:20

There are 2 pictures of Chan on the Myspace page of the director of "An American Widow" Here. I assume they are from the film. I so want to see this movie.

Cat Power and movies Cat110

Cat Power and movies Cat210

Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathynat Wed 29 Aug - 9:13

Cokelike wrote: There are 2 pictures of Chan on the Myspace page of the director of "An American Widow" Here. I assume they are from the film. I so want to see this movie.

Cat Power and movies Cat110

Cat Power and movies Cat210

Beautiful pictures!
I would love to see it too! I looked and looked for on internet but nowhere to find yet
Nathynat
Nathynat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Sun 16 Sep - 12:25

I saw the pictures but never saw these shorts videos.

My Blueberry Nights Premiere Wong Kar Wai and Chan Marshall at the "My Blueberry Nights" Premiere at the Tribeca Grand Screening Room in New York, New York on April 2, 2008

http://www.gettyimages.fr/detail/vidéo/wong-kar-wai-and-chan-marshall-at-the-my-blueberry-film-dactualité/80962691
http://www.gettyimages.fr/detail/vidéo/wong-kar-wai-and-chan-marshall-at-the-my-blueberry-film-dactualité/80962692
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Sun 20 Oct - 6:17

Nicolaoua wrote:
Cokelike wrote:
I've never heard about this film before reading this topic!
I've been looking on the net if it was available somewhere but i couldn't find it. It looks like it hasn't been released on DVD. It must be some kind of avant-garde movie. It's also a 5 hours long film...
It'll probably remain an enigma for some time.
Having researched a little bit further, I think you are right about it being an enigma. C.S. Leigh (director of "An American Widow") has a bit of bad reputation. It seems none of his films have seen any real distribution. This is unfortunate, as I would assume Chan has much more screen time in this film than the short scene in "Blueberry Nights". Also, she is credited as "The singing woman", so you know this would be very interesting to watch. 

This article here (now 10 years old) provides some details on the director and some deals he was involved in that did not come off as they were supposed to. 

http://www.alexiworth.com/writings/writing_html/The%20Trouble%20with%20Christian%20Whatever%20Happened%20to%20Christian%20Leigh.htm

Still, the film was apparently screened at a few festivals. So, I would assume that its in some form of completeness. Hopefully, it doesnt just sit on a shelf somewhere for 20 years. 

His one and only tweet from November 2010:
https://twitter.com/csleigh

Cat Power and movies An_ame11

A picture of actress Yekaterina Golubeva from the film:
http://grand-guignol.livejournal.com/23080.html

Cat Power and movies An_ame10
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Mon 17 Mar - 2:33

More information on ''American Widow'' here from an article from last year, I believe... the most detailed comments I have read about it yet. And a nice picture of Chan, which I think is only the 3rd picture I have found from this film.

http://desistfilm.com/does-this-movie-really-exist-the-invisible-cinema-of-cs-leigh/

A few relevant paragraphs:

''American Widow is classed a work in progress that has been underway since 2005. Shot in multiple countries, it began as a work based on the true story of a woman who concocted a lie that her husband had been killed in the 9/11 attacks. Leigh’s vision for the project continued to expand, becoming a panorama of the first decade of the new century; a critique of the post-American imperialist world encompassing Hurricane Katrina and managing to capture on celluloid Leigh’s beloved Berlin architecture shortly before much of it was demolished.

Leigh says that all of the material has been shot for the film, but that it’s a question of assemblage. Each story tells a refracted, abstracted version of that same central story, a structure appropriate for the theme of lying, since each time a liar tells the story, elements of it seem to change, shift, become embellished.

There are reels of 35mm for American Widow in various different countries (“there are dozens of reels all over the place”) where scenes were shot. The film, on rare occasion when it is shown, is never shown “complete”, rather, reels and sequences are selected and combined into a format appropriate for the occasion.''

-----------------------------------

Yikes, I hope the Chan 35mm reels are in a safe place and we actually get to see this film one day. I wonder what she played?

Cat Power and movies Americ10
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Mon 17 Mar - 8:52

After reading this interview, i seriously doubt that we'll ever see this film on DVD or on anything different than a theatre screen.
The guy doesn't like DVD's, doesn't like internet and doesn't like film festivals. Ok, so how are we supposed to watch his "movies"?  Laughing
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Mon 17 Mar - 9:29

Yeah, totally. The mere fact that it doesnt even exist in a complete form (there is no ''master negative''), makes it even more unlikely that it will be on DVD. A shame.
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Mon 17 Mar - 9:39

The shirt on the left probably the same shirt as seen here in this 5/1/05 picture. 

Cat Power and movies 5-1-0510
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Mon 4 Aug - 3:22

More comments about ''An American Widow"
http://desistfilm.com/qa-cs-leigh/

J.S.: Changing the subject, what can you tell us about your “American Widow” project?

CS: Well, it’s been going on for some time, even if it’s been kind of in a static stage right now. You know that the producer of Process Humbert Balsan committed suicide?

J.S.: Yes…

CS: This was probably the most meaningful event of my adult life. We were supposed to be working together on that film on the Paris sequences and on other films, I was about to start shooting in one month, and he committed suicide. So I had the people, the crew, not much money, but I decided to continue anyway. I’m convinced I had post traumatic stress disorder for the whole first shoot. Luckily I had several great experiences doing that for example shooting with Katja Golubeva and Cat Power but I never had enough money to complete the film as I would have liked to, and I’m not willing to make a big mess just to finish it and do it badly, so I’ve been showing little pieces of it in different places, but I’ve been never able to finish the film. It’s not far from being finished but I haven’t been able to find the money. It’s been an evolving experience, meaning the actual story has changed because it’s been going on for so long… How I initially planned it was to tell a story about loss and 9/11 from the point of view of seven women. That part hasn’t really changed, I’ve shot scenes with men that I won’t use them. So, after doing the initial shoots, after a year, a year and a half it just became very difficult to maintain it, so it remains unfinished. But the sequences I shot are there, they remain, I’ve preserved them, they look great, and I’ve been keeping everything safe, and adding some nee things now and then. But it’s not something I’ve been thinking about showing a lot at the moment.  I’m not sure I understand what the audience means to me anymore. It’s become abstract.
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Mon 19 Oct - 20:13

Chan appears (a few seconds) in this short movie: https://vimeo.com/141740009

She also created the soundtrack with Jim White!

Cat Power and movies 12120170_725068654304911_7383428457542152365_o
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Mon 6 Feb - 18:55

According to IMDb, "An American Widow" is now in some sort of form and re-titled "Projection", listed here as in post-production. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5365420/

With a running time of 80 minutes (cut down from 3 to 4 hours of film), it might not even include Chan at this point. She's not listed in the cast on the IMDb page, anyway. Guess we'll have to wait more to see.
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down