Ode to Chan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2/26/03 - "Noise Pop Festival", San Francisco, CA, Bimbo's 365

2 posters

Go down

2/26/03 - "Noise Pop Festival", San Francisco, CA, Bimbo's 365 Empty 2/26/03 - "Noise Pop Festival", San Francisco, CA, Bimbo's 365

Post  Cokelike Fri 8 Jun - 10:45

2/26/03 - "Noise Pop Festival", San Francisco, CA, Bimbo's 365

1. Baby Doll - 5:27
2. Sad, Sad Song - 4:23
3. Taking People - 3:54
4. Rockets - 4:52
5. I Dont Blame You - 4:14
6. American Flag - 5:42
7. Werewolf - 5:06
8. Fool - 4:45
9. Good Woman - 5:29
10. Nude As The News - 4:49
11. Maybe Not - 7:12
12. Why -> - 3:19
13. Paths Of Victory -> - 3:34
14. Can I Get A Witness - 2:26
15. When I Lay Me Down - 2:25
16. Blue Moon - Try A Little Tenderness - All I Have To Do Is Dream Medley - 3:56
17. My Daddy Was A Musician - 1:54
Total Time: 73:26

At this point Cat Power had been touring for 2 weeks. Making their way through the southwest, the band had played shows in Arizona, New Mexico and California. This was the 11th concert of the tour. The concert took place at Bimbo's 365, an older venue. According to wikipedia, the main stage room can hold around 700 people. This was a week-long festival running from 2/25/03 to 3/3/03. Also on the bill were Chan's friends Smog and M. Ward.

Unless something else pops up this is the first concert recording we have from the tour. It was recorded from the audience. The copy I have was a single mp3 file which I split into tracks to put on a CD. I believe it first appeared on a blog years ago. A big thank you to the person who recorded this. The recording seems to have been edited to remove dead space between songs, so there is almost no in-between song banter and we can presume the concert was longer than 74 minutes. There are a few short fades at the end of songs. The sound is reasonably clear thoughout and is in stereo. All instruments and vocals can be heard very well. There is a bit of distortion in the recording at the start but it sounds like the person recording this seems to have noticed and sorted this out. There is a bit of chatter during the first half but it's never distracting.

In contrast to her concerts in the previous years, the setlist is heavy on originals, with only 5 covers out of 17 songs. Also interesting is that she plays at least one song from all of her albums released at this point.

The band is:
Chan Marshall - Vocals, Guitar, Piano
Will Fratesi - Drums
Coleman Lewis - Guitar, Backing Vocals
Margaret White - Violin, Bass, Keyboards, Vocals
These are friends of Chan's from Atlanta. Coleman and Will previously played in the band Smoke.

"Baby Doll". The song begins with a kind of native american sounding chant from Chan and Coleman, before leading into the verses. Here we have the full band playing. Chan played the first half of the show on guitar always in a clean tone. Coleman's guitar sound varied from song to song, sometime very distorted, and other times just sounding alittle fuzzy. So its easy to tell them apart. Margaret played violin on this song.

"Sad, Sad Song". The band sounds very tight on this, especially the drums. Chan asks for reverb for the guitars mid-way through. This is an M. Ward cover, which she also plays in the Speaking For Trees DVD. The song ends with loud applause.

"Taking People". This is the only live version of this I have heard. Very cool that she picked this track from WWTCT for the concert. Coleman plays a little slide on this to emulate the studio recording.

"Rockets". This is very rocking. Again another really cool older song making it into the setlist.

"I Dont Blame You". For this one Margaret plays a keyboard part, while she and Coleman add back-up vox. They sing the chorus part that Chan overdubbed on the album version.

"American Flag". Similar to the way this was played on Chan's Moonpix tour, this features alot of feedback and string scraping from Coleman. Margaret plays bass on this and so the song has a heaviness that is not often heard in Cat Power concerts.

"Werewolf". At this point things start to get alittle mellow. Coleman sings a bit of backing vocals on this. Margaret is again on violin and sounds really good, especially on the outro.

"Fool". Chan and Margaret essentially sing co-lead vocals on this with Margaret taking the higher parts.

"Good Woman". Margaret and Coleman add back-up vocals to this like the album version had. Violin is also featured. She even manages to finger pick some of the strings like on the album as well.

"Nude As The News". This is really interesting. Someone shouts out for "Metal Heart" at the beginning, then the band kicks into the song. Part of the way through Chan goes into her WWTCT/Moonpix voice and just sounds so cool. Before Chan gets to the "All over, all over" part the song falls apart disappointingly with Chan saying "Sorry, it just sounds like garbage-shit-fuck up here. I'm tryin'. It just sounds BAD. It just sounds BAD up here. It just sounds like shit-fuck-ass. Sorry. Maybe we'll go over there" Presumably she means the piano. While this is going on many people in the crowd are telling her it sounds good. I have to agree, it sounds good to me. I'm not sure how often this was performed on this tour but in any case, this is the last version of this that I have, apart from a few half-hearted attempts from 12/16/03. Later, in 2006 she would incorporate a few verses into her updated "Cross Bones Style" with the Memphis Rhythm Band.

"Maybe Not". Margaret sings along with Chan on this. Chan is now on piano. It's longer than usual because part way through Chan asks for reverb and sings a chorus again. Then at the end she repeats a verse. Like other songs from this show, it's neat to hear this with a band but I think I prefer this song done with just piano.

"Why". Just about every song on this recording has short fade at the end so we dont get to hear the band leaving the stage. But from here on out Chan plays solo. Also at this point the audience is nearly silent for the rest of the show. This is unreleased song. It's played and sang well, but I like other versions more. Chan does this as a medley with the next two songs playing them all right in a row with barely a pause.

"Paths Of Victory". Fairly solid version.

"Can I Get A Witness". Chan says "This is the part where you guys laugh" at the beginning. I think she only played this song in 2003.

"When I Lay Me Down". Another unreleased song. I dont know the real name of the song. Chan says "This is the more boring part" at the start. This is played and sang really well.

"Blue Moon - Try A Little Tenderness - All I have To Do Is Dream Medley". Chan is now on guitar and says "I dont need any vocal in the monitor, I'm sorry, Jason. Or guitar".

"My Daddy Was A Musician". Another unreleased song. I dont know the real title. She doesnt sing much of this, remarking "It's not gonna work." At this point the concert is over.

Photos by Marla Aufmuth
http://www.noisepop.com/2003/photos/226bimbos.html

2/26/03 - "Noise Pop Festival", San Francisco, CA, Bimbo's 365 1catpo10

2/26/03 - "Noise Pop Festival", San Francisco, CA, Bimbo's 365 4catpo10

2/26/03 - "Noise Pop Festival", San Francisco, CA, Bimbo's 365 5catpo10

2/26/03 - "Noise Pop Festival", San Francisco, CA, Bimbo's 365 6catpo10

Last edited by Cokelike on Fri 8 Jun - 23:01; edited 1 time in total
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

2/26/03 - "Noise Pop Festival", San Francisco, CA, Bimbo's 365 Empty Re: 2/26/03 - "Noise Pop Festival", San Francisco, CA, Bimbo's 365

Post  Nicolaoua Fri 8 Jun - 17:33

Traduction

A cette époque, Cat Power est en tournée depuis 2 semaines, traçant sa route à travers le sud ouest des Etats Unis, où le groupe s'est produit en concert en Arizona, au Nouveau Mexique et en Californie. San Francisco est la 11ème étape de cette tournée, pour un concert qui se déroule dans le cadre du Bimbo's 365, dont la scène principale peut contenir environ 700 personnes (dixit wikipedia). Le Noise Pose Festival se tenait cette année là du 25/02/03 au 3/03/03 et on retrouvait à l'affiche deux amis de Chan: Smog et M.Ward.

A moins qu'un nouvel enregistrement apparaisse un jour, il s'agit ici du premier concert enregistré que nous connaissons de cette tournée. Il s'agit d'un enregistrement dit "audience", c'est à dire enregistré parmi le public par un spectateur. La copie que je possède était à la base un seul fichier mp3 que j'ai ensuite divisé en plusieurs pistes afin de les graver sur un CD. Je crois que l'enregistrement était apparu sur un blog 1 an auparavant. Un grand merci donc à la personne qui l'a rendu public! L'enregistrement semble avoir été monté afin de combler les blancs entre les chansons, il y a donc très peu de discussions entre les titres et on peut supposer que le concert était plus long que ces 74 minutes. Il ya quelques courts effets de fondu à la fin des chansons. Le son est raisonnablement clair tout du long et en stéréo. Tous les instruments ainsi que les voix sont très audibles. Il y a un peu de distorsion sur le début de l'enregistrement mais on dirait que la personne qui a enregistré s'en est aperçu et a modifié les réglages. Il y a quelques bruits provenant de bavardages au début mais cela n'est pas gênant.

Par comparaison avec ses concerts des années précédentes, la setlist est largement composée de titres originaux, avec seulement 5 reprises sur un total de 17 chansons. Il est aussi intéressant de noter que Chan joue au moins une chanson de chacun de ses albums de l'époque.

Le groupe est composé de:
Chan Marshall - Chant, Guitare, Piano
Will Fratesi - Batterie
Coleman Lewis - Guitare, choeurs
Margaret White - Violon, Basse, Clavier, Chant
Il s'agit d'amis de Chan d'Atlanta. Coleman et Will avaient auparavant joué avec Smoke.

"Baby Doll". La chanson commence avec une sorte de chant indien par chan et Coleman, puis commencent les couplets. Le groupe joue ici au complet. Chan joue de la guitare lors de la première partie du concert, toujours avec un son très net. Le son de guitare de Coleman varie selon les chansons, parfois distordu, et par moments avec un son un peu flou. Il est donc assez facile de distinguer la guitare de Chan de celle de Coleman. Margaret joue du violon sur cette chanson.

"Sad, Sad Song". Le groupe joue "serré" sur cette chanson, surtout la batterie. Au milieu de la chanson, Chan demande de la "reverb" pour les guitares. C'est une reprise d'une chanson de M.Ward, qui est aussi jouée par Chan sur le DVD Speaking For Trees. La chanson se termine sur des applaudissements nourris.

"Taking People". C'est la seule version live de cette chanson que j'ai entendu. Vraiment cool qu'elle ait choisi cette chanson de What would the community think pour ce concert. Coleman joue un peu en slide afin de reproduire le son de l'enregistrement studio.

"Rockets". Ca bouge vraiment. Encore une ancienne chanson très cool que l'on retrouve dans ce concert.

"I Dont Blame You".Pour celle-ci, Margaret joue une partie au clavier, pendant qu'elle et Coleman font les choristes. Ils chantent la partie que Chan avait doublée sur l'album.

"American Flag". Jouée de la même manière que sur l'album, cette version comporte beaucoup de retour et de bruits de frottements de cordes de la part de Coleman. Margaret joue de la basse sur ce titre, ce qui lui donne une puissance que l'on n'entend pas si souvent lors des concerts de Cat Power.

"Werewolf". A ce instant, les choses commencent à s'adoucir. Coleman chante un peu en accompagnement sur ce titre. Margaret joue à nouveau du violon et ça sonne vraiment bien, particulièrement sur la fin.

"Fool". Chan et Margaret chantent ensemble sur celle-ci, Margaret assurant les moments les plus aigus.

"Good Woman". Margaret et Coleman accompagnent en choeur de la même façon que sur l'album. On entend aussi le violon. Elle arrive même à faire du finger picking comme sur l'album.

"Nude As The News". Ca c'est vraiment intéressant. Quelqu'un crie pour demander "Metal Heart" au début, piuis le groupe démarre la chanson. En cours de route, Chan prends la même voix que sur WWTCT/Moonpix et ça sonne de manière très cool. Avant que Chan à la partie qui fait "All over, all over", tout part en vrille, avec Chan qui dit "Sorry, it just sounds like garbage-shit-fuck up here. I'm tryin'. It just sounds BAD. It just sounds BAD up here. It just sounds like shit-fuck-ass. Sorry. Maybe we'll go over there" On peut imaginer qu'elle parle du piano. Pendant que ça se produit, des gens dans le public lui disent que ça sonnait pourtant bien. Je dois dire que je suis d'accord, ça sonnait bien. Je ne suis pas bien sûr combien de fois cette chanson a été jouée lors de cette tournée mais dans tous les cas, c'est la dernière version que je possède, à part la tentative sans entrain du 16/12/03. Plus tard, en 2006, elle réintroduira quelques couplets dans une version actualisée de "Cross Bones Style" avec le Memphis Rhythm Band.

"Maybe Not". Margaret chante avec Chan qui est maintenant au piano. Elle est plus longue que d'habitude parce qu'en cours de route, Chan demande la "reverb" et rechante un refrain. Ensuite, vers la fin, elle répète un couplet. Comme les autres chansons de ce concert, c'est vraiment sympa de pouvoir l'entendre avec un groupe mais je crois que je la préfère seulement accompagnée d'un piano.

"Why". Toute les chansons se terminant par un fondu, on n'entend pas les autres membres du groupe quitter la scène mais à partir de ce moment là, Chan joue en solo. Il faut aussi souligner que dès lors, le public est silencieux. Cette chanson est inédite. Elle est bien jouée et bien chantée mais je connais d'autres versions supérieures. Chan la joue en medley avec les 2 chansons suivantes, d'une seule traite, avec à peine une pause.

"Paths Of Victory". Une version plutôt solide.

"Can I Get A Witness". Chan dit "This is the part where you guys laugh" (c'est le moment où vous allez rire) au début. Je crois qu'elle n'a joué cette chanson qu'en 2003.

"When I Lay Me Down".Encore une chanson inédite . Je ne sais pas quel est le vrai nom de cette chanson. Chan dit "This is the more boring part" (c'est la partie la plus ennuyeuse) au début. C'est joué et chanté très bien.

"Blue Moon - Try A Little Tenderness - All I have To Do Is Dream Medley". Chan est maintenant à la guitare et dit "I dont need any vocal in the monitor, I'm sorry, Jason. Or guitar".

"My Daddy Was A Musician". Encore une inédite.Je ne connais pas le titre. Elle ne chante pas beaucoup sur celle-ci, et dit "It's not gonna work. C'est le moment où le concert prend fin.
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/Ode-to-Chan-the-Cat-Power-forum-5496916

Back to top Go down

2/26/03 - "Noise Pop Festival", San Francisco, CA, Bimbo's 365 Empty Re: 2/26/03 - "Noise Pop Festival", San Francisco, CA, Bimbo's 365

Post  Nicolaoua Sun 10 Jun - 8:31

I've been listening to this recording for the first time yesterday and i enjoyed it a lot. I can hardly believe that it has been sleeping on my hard drive, barely forgotten, for so long!
Thank you Cokelike for showing us the way to the good stuff!
I think that i prefered the first half of the show, with the full band. As you said, it sounds very good and what a delight it is to hear such nice renditions (even if aborted) of older songs like "Nude as the news".
Honestly, i wasn't even aware that Chan was touring with a band at that time. I thought she was a solo act around 2003. How wrong was i ?!

Definitely a "must listen" and as the song says: a splendid time is guaranteed for all!
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/Ode-to-Chan-the-Cat-Power-forum-5496916

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down