Ode to Chan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cat Power concerts and encore: how often ?

2 posters

Go down

Cat Power concerts and encore: how often ? Empty Cat Power concerts and encore: how often ?

Post  Nicolaoua Sat 20 Oct - 8:53

I was reading complaints on twitter about the lack of encore at the end of the concert. But how often did Cat Power do Encore? I don't remember that this is something that she usually does but i could be wrong.
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/Ode-to-Chan-the-Cat-Power-forum-5496916

Back to top Go down

Cat Power concerts and encore: how often ? Empty Re: Cat Power concerts and encore: how often ?

Post  Cokelike Sat 20 Oct - 9:36

Jeez, good question. The way bands do concerts these days its pretty much an accepted part of the show, which really defeats the purpose of even calling it an encore, IMO (I have even seen a few bands say, "We're going to skip the leaving the stage part and just play, okay?"). This is probably why everyone is expecting Cat Power to do one. It's so routine.

Going by the definition of actually leaving the stage and the audience response being enough for her to be compelled to return and do one, I'd say almost never. But there are probably at least a few instances this happening. I cant think of one off-hand.

Usually, when she's done playing, she is done.

For the 1999, Joan Of Arc shows, I think once the movie was done so was she.

The "You Are Free" tour had a lot of shows that just ended with the long "Try Me - Remember Me Medley" which usually meant this is the end of the concert.

The tour for "The Greatest" was the beginning of a really organized setlist. While she usually did an a capella thing to end it, I wouldnt call that an encore because it was always there in the setlist.

Likewise, with her Jukebox tours and beyond. Those concerts were usually approaching 2 hours and so an encore seems unlikely.

The closest might be during "The Greatest" tour when occasionally she would perform some additional solo songs after the a capella part, like 11/3/06 and 11/6/06. She starts this part on the 11/6/06 saying "I have no idea what I'm going to do", suggesting it was a spur of the moment idea. But even this might have been planned for the latter part of the tour.

Basically, I think she gives it her all out there. And probably she thinks that should be enough for anybody.
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Cat Power concerts and encore: how often ? Empty Re: Cat Power concerts and encore: how often ?

Post  Cokelike Sat 20 Oct - 9:45

I'm also reminded of her recent Makers interview (I think) where she says that she couldnt even look at the audience members faces until "The Greatest" tour. This suggests she wasnt much of a performer who wanted to be out there for too long, let alone return when she was done.
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down