Ode to Chan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Submit your questions to Gregg Foreman

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Submit your questions to Gregg Foreman Empty Submit your questions to Gregg Foreman

Post  Nicolaoua Mon 29 Apr - 9:54

Submit your questions to Gregg Foreman Tumblr_mmq6wfVBU71rp42sso1_500
Dear fellow Cat Power fans, i'm very happy and proud to inform you that Gregg offered very kindly to help us with questions we might have about the band.
I can't promise that every question will get an answer but you can submit your questions in this topic.
The most relevant questions will then be sent to Gregg.

----------------

Chers amis fans de Cat Power, je suis très heureux et fier de vous informer que Gregg a très gentiment proposé de répondre aux questions que nous pourrions nous poser à propos du groupe.
Je ne peux pas vous promettre que chaque question pourra recevoir une réponse mais je vous propose néanmoins de soumettre vos questions dans ce sujet.
Les questions qui paraissent les plus pertinentes seront ensuite transmises à Gregg.

Last edited by Nicolaoua on Mon 13 May - 7:35; edited 4 times in total
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/Ode-to-Chan-the-Cat-Power-forum-5496916

Back to top Go down

Submit your questions to Gregg Foreman Empty Re: Submit your questions to Gregg Foreman

Post  camille. Mon 29 Apr - 11:06

Vraiment cool, ce Nicolaoua. Smile
camille.
camille.

Back to top Go down

Submit your questions to Gregg Foreman Empty Re: Submit your questions to Gregg Foreman

Post  Sab Mon 29 Apr - 14:37

bounce

Voici les premières questions qui me viennent à l'esprit:

1. What are exactly his tasks as musical director? Did he choose the band musicians? How did he choose them? Did he or Chan already know them?
2. How is it different from playing with the Dirty Delta Blues Band?

Do not hesitate to correct these questions, Nicolaoua!

C'est tout pour le moment!

I have to think about it.

Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Mon 13 May - 6:45

Don't be shy guys, we are waiting for your questions!

Here are Gregg's answers to the first batch of questions that were sent to him.

Gregg, thank you very, very much for taking the time to answer this! prosterne

1. What unreleased songs did the Dirty Delta Blues Band record with Chan?

G:We did many but I am not sure at this point that can be told - there are a bunch of set lists floating around from the time period - we recorded a lot of music though ... Tons and only some ended up on SUN ...

2. What are the chances we'll see the release of more of the tracks from Sun sessions, especially Monster, Let Me Go, etc. (the ''slow depressing songs"')?

G:These are the songs I was speaking about . Not sure what the plan will be I hope that they get heard !!!

3. What's the status of the forthcoming "remix album" that Chan mentioned in some interviews last year)?

G:Not sure about the remix record as we will be touring til September and more . .

4. How are the current rehearsals for the upcoming world tours going?

G:The tour stuff is going great - we are a tight band like family !

5. What new songs are being added to the setlist? Is "Real Life" among them?

G:We tried real life - the Dirty DB style and the Sun style - could be in the set soon . Some old stuff has made the way back - we did Metal Heart in the style of Moon Pix and Jukebox versions w guests Mick Turner or the great DIRTY 3 and with Dinosaur Jr man J. Mascis . That is Possible to play too . . .

6-On the setlist from your Washington concert last october, there was "Colors and the Kids" written on it. Was the song really played? And if it was, why wasn't it played later?

G:The song did get played as a duet with Willis Earle Beale . Not sure the set is in flux a lot .

7- Do you intend to play "Shivers" in South America and in Europe too? (From what i've listened to on youtube, i wish you'll do it, and i wouldn't say no to a studio version!).

G:Really do hope we play it - Rowland S Howard (the writer of the track) is a hero to most of us !!!

8- Is there a plan to record songs in a studio with Chan and the band in the future?

G:No plan to record yet . Just touring for SUN ! ! !

We are super excited for South America (the girls have not yet been there) Plus Europe will be amazing - looking forward to playing w Nick Cave again !!! and also with The Rolling Stones and Rodriguez and our friends Primal Scream . . thanks sir , <3 Gregg

Last edited by Nicolaoua on Wed 15 May - 16:47; edited 1 time in total
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Mon 13 May - 6:51

Nicolaoua wrote:
Gregg, thank you very, very much for taking the time to answer this! prosterne

Accept my thanks also, Gregg!! Very, very cool of you to take some time out to communicate with us!!! Thank you for answering my questions (#1-6), Much appreciated! Very Happy thumbs up prosterne
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Mon 13 May - 7:59

Very promising news about ''Real Life'', I hope that makes it to the setlist soon! And how about collecting some more of those "Sun" session tracks (Monster, Woman Of My Word, Let Me Go, Horizon, Brave Liar) assuming they were all recorded, onto an EP, a la "The Dark End Of The Street". It could even be called the "Horizon" EP in keeping with the Sun theme. That would rule!
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Wed 15 May - 16:44

Here is another round of Q & A:

1. Whats this about Chan recording something just after the Australia tour?

G:No sure what she recorded .

2. Was an official/unofficial name ever decided on for the new backing band?

G:We have a name but just for us Wink

3. Can you confirm the names and tell us about the songs that we dont know much about? Like the instrumental that was briefly played on the 2011 Australia tour? Or the DDBB songs, "Do You" and "Surf Song"?

G:Those songs - do you is original we played in Oz on the last tour . Surf is by jack nitzsche called lonely surfer ?

4. I read about the computer setups everyone has on stage and noticed them in concert. Can you tell us more about how these are used by the band members?

G:The computer is to play the electronic drum machine parts of the sun material like Manhattan .

5. What are exactly your tasks as musical director?

G:This one takes a while to answer ; short form I got the band together , show them the music , keep them in on what we bring in and out of the set and act as a musical correspondant between Chan and them .

6. Did you or Chan already know your new musicians before they joined the team?

G:hmm I knew alianna for years and was aware of the other 2 , Chan knew nico and alianna .

7. Thus far, in your 6.5 years touring with Cat Power, what are your favorite memories from the concerts?

G:Short answer they are all nice - but Transmusical w ddb . hidden valley w ddb . wiltern w ddb . jools w the ddb . jools w chan - Bully . Melbourne w Sun band . Nyc w Sun band . Palladium w Sun band .
jimmy fallon w the roots . so many good ones . . . the Hollywood Bowl w Spiritualized and Nick Cave and the bad seeds . tons of festivals too . . . Istanbul was good , Australia was nice . . . looking to Europe .

8. What do you think of Ode to Chan? How could we improve the forum? Likes, dislikes?

G:The forum is good , celebrating the artist in a good light is lovely .

9. If you can say, what does Chan think about the forum (if she knows about it, of course!)?

G:She probably likes it - she loves her fans !!!
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Wed 15 May - 17:40

Good stuff here.

''Do You''. This has long been labeled by some as a cover by the The Move. I listened to the Move song and to my ears it never sounded anything like it, so I never believed that. Good to know its now confirmed as an original.

''Lonely Surfer''. So we know know what this song is. Cool! Here is the original.

Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Wed 15 May - 17:47

Here is a list of the concerts Gregg mentioned in his list of favorites -

12/7/06 - Rennes, France
2/1/08 - London, England, BBC, Later With Jools Holland
2/29/08 - Los Angeles, CA, Wiltern
9/17/08 - Los Angeles, CA, Hollywood Bowl
10/24/10 - Big Sur, CA, Henry Miller Memorial Library
2/9/12 - Istanbul, Turkey, Garaj Istanbul (last DDBB concert)
10/23/12 - NYC, Hammerstein Ballroom (presumably this NYC show)
11/8/12 - Los Angles, CA, Hollywood Palladium
3/7/13 - Melborne, Australia, The Forum
4/5/13 - NYC, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon
4/9/13 - London, England, BBC, Later With Jools Holland
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Wed 15 May - 18:19

Oops, i see that i forgot to send one of Sab's questions. Embarassed
Next time, i promise!
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Wed 15 May - 18:24

Thank you Gregg! You made my day!

Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Wed 15 May - 18:26

Nicolaoua wrote:
Oops, i see that i forgot to send one of Sab's questions. Embarassed
Next time, i promise!

Pas de soucis! C'est tellement sympa de sa part d'y répondre et les autres questions sont très pertinentes, ça me va! thumbs up
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Wed 15 May - 18:47

By the way I have three more questions for him:

1. Will we have the chance to hear Speak for me or He War two songs that were never played live?
2. Will there be more videos from the Sun album?
3. I was wondering if the backing vocals on Fire were only Chan's.

Thank you to correct the mistakes! Wink

And thank you Gregg!
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Thu 23 May - 13:33

One more question:

We know Greg Hunt filmed the LA concert in november 2012. What is it for? What Chan intend to do with this?
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Wed 29 May - 8:34

1- Was Bully played during the first 3 concerts in Brazil? It wasn't written on the setlist but it seems strange.

Was played on every show so far .

2- Was Silver Stallion really played in Rio?

Was played in Soundcheck but not live .

3- How different is playing with your new band from playing with the Dirty Delta Blues Band?

This band is tighter in ways and I direct the band - the other band was more free form but the players were more experienced . . . I love both - but I see them as different and exactly what Chan wants at different times ... I think the new band can do the old music pretty well though and we all are a tight group - even the people on the sides we have a great team around and crew . The sound guy we have is Kanye's guy too , so he is good ... G
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Mon 3 Jun - 19:49

Cool, thanks! thumbs up
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Thu 6 Jun - 11:23

1. Will we have the chance to hear Speak for me or He War, two songs that were never played live?

G: Most likely no - but you never know .

2. Will there be more videos from the Sun album?

G: Probably more videos - a live video from LA is supposed to be out on the website at some point so I am told .

3. Are the backing vocals on "Fire" only Chan's?

G: The backing Vocals are all CM !!!
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Thu 6 Jun - 11:37

Thank you!

Nicolaoua wrote:
1. Will we have the chance to hear Speak for me or He War, two songs that were never played live?

G: Most likely no - but you never know .

Sad We'll have to wait and see then...

Nicolaoua wrote: 2. Will there be more videos from the Sun album?

G: Probably more videos - a live video from LA is supposed to be out on the website at some point so I am told .

thumbs up
Nicolaoua wrote:
3. Are the backing vocals on "Fire" only Chan's?

G: The backing Vocals are all CM !!!

You were right Cokelike! Wink
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Thu 20 Jun - 20:40

If that's still possible, i'd like to ask Gregg a few questions. 

- On Woman Left Lonely, who's playing piano and who's playing organ between you and Spooner Oldham?

- As a musician and one of the great players of the indie rock scene, could you name some of your favorite bands or singers/songwriters of the contemporary rock scene? (and maybe Chan's picks too?) 

Thanks in advance for your answers, that's nice thumbs up !

Love your music.
Jeremy

Merci Nicolaoua pour cette superbe opportunité Very Happy! Ne pas hésiter à reformuler si besoin est!
Jeremy
Jeremy

http://music-for-the-road.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Fri 21 Jun - 10:15

Questions transmises. Wink
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Sat 22 Jun - 7:08

- On Woman Left Lonely, who's playing piano and who's playing organ between you and Spooner Oldham?

G: Spooner is on piano I am on organ . Was an amazing experience ...

- As a musician and one of the great players of the indie rock scene, could you name some of your favorite bands or singers/songwriters of the contemporary rock scene? (and maybe Chan's picks too?)

G: For me I like the black angels . savages . Brian Jonestown massacre .the crocodiles . dum dum girls ... Black Ryder . Tamaryn . Pink Mountaintops . Htrk . Strangers family band . Dead meadow . Old Testament . Entrance . Lee fields . L'aura Moire . Cold Cave ... Lust for youth . 
Chan likes a lot of the bands we take on tour - x ray eyeballs . Willis Earl Beale . Jailbait . Appaloosa ...
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Sat 22 Jun - 10:59

Great thumbs up ! Very generous in his picks, I like that Very Happy !

Thanks to him & merci à toi Nicolaoua!
Jeremy
Jeremy

http://music-for-the-road.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Mon 24 Jun - 15:42

1. When and where was ''Amazing Grace'' recorded?

2. If known, when and where was ''Stuck Inside Of Memphis With The Mobile Blues Again'' recorded?

3. Whats going on in the arrangement of "Shivers''? It appears to have lyrics from ''Oh, Sweet Nuthin''' and someone on Youtube adds lyrics from ''Never Tear Us Apart'' as being included too. Is this correct? 

4. Was there a Cat Power & DDBB Tour Documentary being made in 2007? Any information about this?

5. Once upon a time, there was a clip of Chan jamming on drums with you guys at the Paris Chanel show in 2007. Any chance we could see that again?

Thanks Gregg!
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Tue 25 Jun - 11:20

1. When and where was ''Amazing Grace'' recorded?

G: The Amazing Grace was recorded at a radio show in LA at KCRW during rehearsal for a show .

2. If known, when and where was ''Stuck Inside Of Memphis With The Mobile Blues Again'' recorded?

G: No idea where it was recorded . Sorry

3. Whats going on in the arrangement of "Shivers''? It appears to have lyrics from ''Oh, Sweet Nuthin''' and someone on Youtube adds lyrics from ''Never Tear Us Apart'' as being included too. Is this correct?

G: That is very astute - The song is credited to Rowland S Howard Michael Hutchence and Lou Reed . . .
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Tue 25 Jun - 14:53

Thank you, thank you!
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next