Ode to Chan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP Mabon "Teenie" Hodges

3 posters

Go down

RIP Mabon "Teenie" Hodges Empty RIP Mabon "Teenie" Hodges

Post  Jeremy Mon 23 Jun - 14:05

Sad news again...

"Teenie" Hodges, soul legend and member of the Memphis Rhythm Band, has died. He played with Cat Power on The GreatestJukebox and the Dark End Of The Street EP.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/06/r-i-p-teenie-hodges-memphis-soul-legend-dead-at-68/

Memphis soul legend Teenie Hodges has died, according to his family. He was 68 years old.
Over the course of 40-year career in music, Hodges collaborated with a number of popular soul musicians, including Al Jarreau, Syl Johnson, and Ann Peebles. His greatest success, however, came working alongside Al Green. Together, the two co-wrote several hit songs including “Take Me to the River”, “Love and Happiness”, “Here I Am (Come and Take Me)”, and “Full of Fire”. In addition, Hodges played lead guitar for Green.
Hodges got his first break in music after being recruited by record producer Willie Mitchell to play guitar in the band Hi Rhytjm Section. He remained an active member of the outfit for decades to come, often recording and touring with Johnson and Green.
Later in his career, Hodges collaborated with Cat Power for her 2005 [2006] album The Greatest, contributing to all but one track.
Hodges was the uncle of rapper Drake.

Last edited by Jeremy on Mon 23 Jun - 22:19; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy
Jeremy

http://music-for-the-road.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

RIP Mabon "Teenie" Hodges Empty Re: RIP Mabon "Teenie" Hodges

Post  Cokelike Mon 23 Jun - 17:22

I think this was the last time he played music with Chan. Not sure how many songs he played at this show. Probably more than just this one. 

5/3/08, ''Could We'' in Memphis, TN
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  camille. Mon 23 Jun - 17:29

I've just read that on Pitchfork. sad news indeed.

She posted some photos of him maybe 2 days ago...
camille.
camille.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Fri 27 Jun - 3:11

Not easy to see in this picture. But I asked Chan what was on her gray bracelet she is wearing. Its a small picture of Teenie from younger days. Chan said it was from when he was working with Aretha Franklin and others. 

RIP Mabon "Teenie" Hodges 1216
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum