Ode to Chan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cat Power vinyl pressings differences / les différences entre les pressages vinyles de Cat Power

3 posters

Go down

Cat Power vinyl pressings differences / les différences entre les pressages vinyles de Cat Power Empty Cat Power vinyl pressings differences / les différences entre les pressages vinyles de Cat Power

Post  Nicolaoua Sun 4 Mar - 14:11

Last year, Matador Records reissued a few Cat Power albums on vinyl. Yesterday, i found a new copy of Jukebox at my local record store, and i was a bit surprised how cheap it looked. I already bought the album a few years ago and it was a US pressing of the deluxe version. It's sleeve is very thick and heavy when the new one is thin and light (and of course with only one record). Does anybody know if these cheap looking are European pressings or if those new pressings look the same in the US (or anywhere else if other pressings exist)?

I must ad that i'm the owner of two "Dark End of the Street" copies.
One is a US pressing and like my Jukebox copy, looks "solid" and shiny, and my European pressing is smaller and lighter and matte, with thin sleeve...

Cat Power vinyl pressings differences / les différences entre les pressages vinyles de Cat Power Th_105394083_SG102144_122_472lo
Cat Power vinyl pressings differences / les différences entre les pressages vinyles de Cat Power Th_539383239_SG102143_122_382lo
Cat Power vinyl pressings differences / les différences entre les pressages vinyles de Cat Power Th_539432384_SG102145_122_35lo
Cat Power vinyl pressings differences / les différences entre les pressages vinyles de Cat Power Th_539454657_SG102146_122_880lo

Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/Ode-to-Chan-the-Cat-Power-forum-5496916

Back to top Go down

Cat Power vinyl pressings differences / les différences entre les pressages vinyles de Cat Power Empty Re: Cat Power vinyl pressings differences / les différences entre les pressages vinyles de Cat Power

Post  Cokelike Tue 6 Mar - 1:02

Interesting. I dont know the answer to your question. But it wouldnt suprise me if all of the reissued pressings that came out are on the thinner lesser quality cardboard. First pressings almost always get better treatment than what comes out later. I'm pretty sure that my copy of Jukebox purchased last year, is the thinner version (also one record). Also, I played the vinyl for the first time a few weeks ago and, wow, did it sound bad. I believe I got a bad pressing, but not sure. I'm very familiar with the CD and its unique sound. By comparison, I would describe the sound of the vinyl as muffled and dead. That wonderful booming drum sound at the beginning of "New York, New York" sounded like it was coming from my basement instead of my speakers. I knew something was wrong right away. After 3 songs I couldnt take it anymore and turned it off. I very much enjoy vinyl, but I've never played any of my other Cat Power records. The CDs sound just fine to me.

I dont believe that Jukebox applies here, but check out this link about how Matador "lost" a ALOT of their album masters and other material. In this day and age, I dont understand how something like this could happen.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/apr/23/lost-album-masters-matador-reissues
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Cat Power vinyl pressings differences / les différences entre les pressages vinyles de Cat Power Empty Re: Cat Power vinyl pressings differences / les différences entre les pressages vinyles de Cat Power

Post  Nicolaoua Tue 6 Mar - 9:52

Cokelike wrote:
I dont believe that Jukebox applies here, but check out this link about how Matador "lost" a ALOT of their album masters and other material. In this day and age, I dont understand how something like this could happen.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/apr/23/lost-album-masters-matador-reissues

It's almost unbelievable! Shocked
If i bought 2 copies of Dark End of the Street, it was because the first one i got sounded very bad, as it is too often the case with "modern" pressings. Thankfully, the other one sounds ok. Anyway, i think that these vinyl records are a must have for the artwork in full size. Moon Pix cover is outstanding, especially when you compare it with the tiny cd cover.

Last edited by Nicolaoua on Tue 6 Mar - 10:19; edited 1 time in total
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cokelike Tue 6 Mar - 10:10

I agree. Full-size artwork is always better. I didnt even know what Chan was doing on the cover of You Are Free til I got the vinyl. From the CD artwork, I thought she was facing the camera, sitting down with her arms wrapped around her knees. Then I realized that shes not even facing the camera.
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Cat Power vinyl pressings differences / les différences entre les pressages vinyles de Cat Power Empty My Vinyl Collection

Post  silent-machine Thu 30 Aug - 13:04

In my Cat Power vinyl collection I have....

Dear Sir (Runt 10")
Dear Sir (Clear Red)
What Would The Community Think
Moon Pix
The Covers Record
You Are Free
The Greatest (pink cover)
Jukebox (2xLP deluxe edition)
Dark End of The Street (2x10"EP)
Sun (2xclearLP w/clear7" and alternate artwork deluxe edition)
silent-machine
silent-machine

http://breethsmoke.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Thu 30 Aug - 13:14

silent-machine wrote:

Wait, wait, wait: you already have it? Surprised
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  silent-machine Thu 30 Aug - 13:23

Nicolaoua wrote:
silent-machine wrote:

Wait, wait, wait: you already have it? Surprised

No, sorry for the confusion. It is preordered and coming in the mail soon. I wonder if it is clear and rainbow colored like the clear vinyl she posted on her instagram?
silent-machine
silent-machine

http://breethsmoke.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down