Ode to Chan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

They sing CP

3 posters

Go down

They sing CP Empty They sing CP

Post  camille. Tue 5 Nov - 21:20

I was searching last videos from CP on Youtube and I saw a video from a guy who covers Sea of love.
Naively, I thought that maybe it's good because he puts it on Youtube.
And I'm sorry but what happened to him to post it on Youtube? :/
So I laughed (sorry sorry sorry) and wanted to share it with you.
Or maybe I didn't understand his rendition.

camille.
camille.

Back to top Go down

They sing CP Empty Re: They sing CP

Post  Cokelike Wed 6 Nov - 4:51

Yeah, its not very good, heheheh. But I think he might be learning english because he mentions his teacher gave him the song. Or he might simply have some speech problems. 

The fascination with Cat Power's ''Sea Of Love'' cover is crazy. There must be 1000's and 1000's of covers based on her version on youtube. Why is this? What is it about this one song that so many people (well, girls actually) are drawn to? 

We all know that there would never be so many covers of this unless Cat Power covered it. But here's the original:

Its like a doo-wop thing. The guy who uploaded this, writes "The greatest song ever #1 on the U.S. Billboard R&B chart and #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in year 1959. The best music (of) all time.'' Well, I think it could be debated that its the ''best music all (of) time'', but its certainly a good song. I love all that 50s and 60s stuff, its timeless. Firstly, you'll notice that Chan's version is slower. And you'll also notice there is a bridge in the original that Chan omitted from her cover, making a very spare cover with just voice and autoharp even more spare. I love how when she covers a song she feels free to omit verses, change chords, change the tempo, change the arrangement. She's like a master at picking out the best parts and just putting the emphasis on those parts. And many times she changes the whole meaning of the song in doing so. She's great like that. In the original, it sounds more to me like a plea type of song, "Come with me, my love", especially with those bridges in there. Chan's version, to me, is all about the "I want to tell you, how much I love you'' part. Not so much a plea as a declaration. I think this is a major part of the songs popularity. And also the way Chan sings it is very heartfelt and the music sounds like a little girls music box or something. Its a very feminine song. I also think girls love to sing that "I-hIIIIIiiii Want to tell you..." part, doing the Sarah Mclachlan-esque voice cracking type of thing, too. And hey, why not, that stuff is cool. Smile 

(I just want to add here that it is just a cryin' shame we cant hear a complete version of "How Can I Tell You'', her Cat Stevens cover, which is very much in the same vein as "Sea Of Love''. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-jOjK003Yk)

Here's the Cat Power version:

Yeah, I picked the one with the Juno poster. I think this movie was the first place that a lot of people heard this song. So you could probably say that the person involved with this movie who picked Chan's cover to use in the movie is really responsible for the 1000's and 1000's of covers. hehehehe. 

Most girls play this with guitar. Perhaps not surprisingly, there are some with autoharp, like Chan played it. 

This one is not bad:

I wonder what the 2nd most covered Cat Power song is? Wouldnt it be funny if it turned out to be her cover of ''Wonderwall''? Laughing
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  camille. Fri 8 Nov - 19:11

I noticed it too the fascination for this song.
And it's probably because this song is easy and the lyrics are simple and talk to everyone. 

We can create a topic with CP's songs covered. 
Have you heard the version of Nude as the news by Sky Ferreira and the guy of DIIV?
camille.
camille.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Fri 8 Nov - 19:15

Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/Ode-to-Chan-the-Cat-Power-forum-5496916

Back to top Go down

Post  camille. Fri 8 Nov - 19:29

Nicolaoua wrote:There is already one: https://odetochan.forumgratuit.org/t471-cat-power-covers Wink
Oh thanks, i didn't notice...
camille.
camille.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicolaoua Wed 4 Dec - 8:17

Cherokee

Not perfect but i find it rather interesting.
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/Ode-to-Chan-the-Cat-Power-forum-5496916

Back to top Go down

Post  camille. Thu 5 Dec - 22:48

I didn't like it!

Not that bad!
camille.
camille.

Back to top Go down