Ode to Chan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2/7/12 - Geneva, Switzerland, Victoria Hall, "Antigel Festival"

2 posters

Go down

2/7/12 - Geneva, Switzerland, Victoria Hall, "Antigel Festival" Empty 2/7/12 - Geneva, Switzerland, Victoria Hall, "Antigel Festival"

Post  Cokelike Fri 7 Sep - 4:15

2/7/12 - Geneva, Switzerland, Victoria Hall, "Antigel Festival"

Setlist (unsure of exactly what was played):
2/7/12 - Geneva, Switzerland, Victoria Hall, "Antigel Festival" 2-7-1210

This was the second Cat Power concert of 2012.

Review
(Translated from French)

The crowd was there. The music also. Tuesday evening at the Victoria Hall, when American singer Cat Power down, finally, on the scene, surrounded by four musicians, the attention is at its peak. The expectation was huge for a rare artist in our lands, and more importantly without recent record news. Cat Power Festival antifreeze, it was to be the event. In this case, event occurred. Any dark, any tinny, charisma reduced to the essential, Cat Power standing sings these douces-ameres complaints that have made his reputation. Guitar blues, minimalist, a sinuous keyboard, a dragline drums, a bass. The voice rises, deep and tired, sensual, always on the skin. The pace is slow, which brings each passenger burst in the same place: a last note of electrified guitar, echo under the vault of the Victoria Hall. Amplified sound is good enough, the resonance of the room still eventually tire. But the musicians are at this point in their case, Virtuosi with it that all reached his goal: emotion in delicate balance between light and lead, with the Summit this double-edged blues song. In the voice of Cat Power, there is the blade and velvet surrounded in a twilight melee. It is mired in the darkness. It's beautiful. Two good hours of concert. A saturated last time. Silence falls on the Victoria Hall. The traditional reminder is no longer necessary. MI-Reve, mi-cauchemar, Cat Power music is already more than a memory. Tenacious.

------------------------------------

Short Reviews
(Translated from French)

Trembling, not knowing what to do with her hands ... is this impression that I finally will this concert. Her voice, beautiful and graceful, I was certainly enchanted ... however, Cat Power, bouncy, not staying in place and twisting his hands, put me uncomfortable throughout the first part.
Afterwards, she seemed to relax. Then, suddenly, she left the scene ... leaving us with only two of its musicians for several minutes when the public did not know what to expect ... return, coming back?

She finally returned ... without great enthusiasm ... disappointed by his songs - she even said jumping from one song to another ... it does not let me memorable.

Admittedly, this is a singer with a voice extraordinary breathtaking and written words really real. Cat Power but is not a showman, far away ... and left me a bittersweet memory. Shame ...

--------------------------------

Completely agree with you.

Having "enjoyed" the show through spaces in front of scenes, I share your disappointment. Worse, she could not stop rubbing the nose and move his tongue on the teeth (not to mention all the other tocs). I let the readers or viewers judge the reasons for these gestures, but for me it reminded me of the worst videos of Amy Winehouse fire (but with a vocal performance acceptable, and until the end - and again, because the Most people around me did not recognize the song "The Greatest", nor I for that matter).

Finally, it is better to listen to on CD, at least it does not come out or stressed or disappointed home.

--------------------------------

2/7/12 - Geneva, Switzerland, Victoria Hall, "Antigel Festival" 2-7-1211
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

2/7/12 - Geneva, Switzerland, Victoria Hall, "Antigel Festival" Empty Re: 2/7/12 - Geneva, Switzerland, Victoria Hall, "Antigel Festival"

Post  Sab Wed 12 Sep - 18:22

Here is my review (in french sorry) posted a few days after the concert:

"Pour mes impressions, je vais avoir beaucoup de mal à les exprimer parce que je dois avouer que je suis encore sous le coup de l’émotion…

Il s’agissait là de mon second concert de la belle, j’avais déjà eu l’honneur de la voir sur scène qqes mois auparavant à Paris, Salle Pleyel. Bien que plutôt similaire niveau répertoire, je n’ai pas vécu l’évènement de la même manière pour la simple et bonne raison qu’à Paris, j’étais trèèèèès loin de la scène alors qu’à Genève, ben j’étais au premier rang, à 1m de notre amie.

Je dois dire que c’était un moment très intense pour moi de la voir débarquer là, juste au-dessus de ma tête. Passée l’émotion visuelle, c’est une toute autre émotion, cette fois-ci auditive qui m’envahit. Cette voix incroyable qui embarque et séduit toute la salle d’emblée. Silence religieux, tout l’auditoire semble envoûté et elle nous achèvera avec sa version incroyable de The Greatest. J’avais déjà été complètement charmée à Paris par cette version quasi méconnaissable. Elle quitte la scène, comme à Paris, nous laissant avec Gregg Foreman (claviers) et Erik Paparazzi (basse) en plein délire psychédélique et revient après un bon quart d’heure. Elle enchaîne deux reprises, House of the Rising sun & I just wanna be your dog (où elle prend la guitare). Et arrive l’instant que l’on craignait tous, celui où ça va de travers pour elle et où elle panique. Elle n’est ni satisfaite du son visiblement ni de sa voix et s’interrompt. Elle s’excuse 1 million de fois (nous connaissons bien ce phénomène chez elle), mais elle a son public dans la poche, on lui pardonne évidemment toujours tout !

Elle a joué Monster et Ruin, deux nouveaux titres qui devraient se retrouver sur son prochain album, je suis aux anges. Le concert se termine de manière un peu abrupte après un I Don’t Blame You un peu longuet. Elle remercie longuement, tout le monde est debout et elle disparait sans présenter son groupe et sans rappel. Les lumières se rallument très vite et on est rapidement happé par la réalité : c’est fini.

Vous l’aurez compris, je suis dans un état second depuis hier soir. J’ai évidemment adoré. Musicalement parlant c’était solide. Son groupe est incroyable avec une mention spéciale pour Jim White à la batterie qui est exceptionnel ! Ensuite, Chan, c’est Chan quoi. On l’aime en entier avec ses tics, ses tocs, ses failles… Elle a un charisme évident, une voix incroyable, elle est habitée, voire possédée par moments.

Voilà pour mes impressions et vivement le prochain concert. Il y a fort à parier qu’une tournée se profile pour cet été…"
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

2/7/12 - Geneva, Switzerland, Victoria Hall, "Antigel Festival" Empty Re: 2/7/12 - Geneva, Switzerland, Victoria Hall, "Antigel Festival"

Post  Sab Sat 15 Sep - 9:43

"Ses dernières traces, elle les a laissées il y a quelques mois seulement pour un millier d’heureux élus, presque tous acquis à la cause. C’était un soir de février et Cat Power jouait la diva fragile sur la scène du Victoria Hall à Genève pour le compte du festival Antigel. L’Américaine avait alors laissé paraître au grand jour tout ce qui a fait d’elle, dès ses premiers pas, une figure aussi éblouissante que vulnérable. Ses foulées erratiques, l’incapacité de s’assumer sur les planches, les soliloques répétés et d’autres choses encore ont une fois de plus désarmé l’assistance, autant que le déploiement de son immense talent."

(1st paragraph of a SUN review in LE TEMPS )
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Sab Sat 15 Sep - 9:50

Une photo du Victoria Hall depuis ma place au 1er rang! Cool

2/7/12 - Geneva, Switzerland, Victoria Hall, "Antigel Festival" Img_1810
Sab
Sab

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down