Ode to Chan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10/22/03 - Paris, France, "Traffic Musique"

2 posters

Go down

10/22/03 - Paris, France, "Traffic Musique" Empty 10/22/03 - Paris, France, "Traffic Musique"

Post  Cokelike Mon 9 Jul - 2:59

10/22/03 - Paris, France, "Traffic Musique"

Setlist:
Good Woman - 3:40
Interview 1:42
Come On In My Kitchen - 4:24
Total Time: 9:46

Chan returns to Europe to make this TV appearance. I am just guessing, but I think this may have been one of her scheduled appearences for her European tour dates that were canceled. I dont believe she made any other performances in Europe for the rest of the year. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am also not exactly sure when this was recorded. The air-date is 10/22/03 but it may have been recorded earlier.

This copy I have of this is in excellent DVD quality. Thank You to the person who made this available.

Buddy Guy was also on the program and he played first. He performed "Crawling King Snake" and "Louise Mcgee". Following this Chan is introduced and that is where my copy of the video begins.

Good Woman - Chan is introduced and begins playing the song. Unusually for Chan, she is playing this on an acoustic guitar and its a classical type guitar with half nylon strings at that. This is really neat as I cant think of a lot of live acoustic guitar performances she has made. Off the top of my head she did maybe 1 or 2 radio sessions with an acoustic, and the Bridge School Benefit concert was an acoustic affair. Also, interesting is that she does not use the familiar chord changes for the song. Instead she holds down a D chord throughout. This is a rather subdued version of the song.

Interview - Chan sits down for a short interview with the host. He asks about the John Lee Hooker cover "Keep On Runnin'" from "You Are Free". Chan replies, "I love that song". The host then turns to Buddy Guy and asks him about John Lee Hooker. Buddy briefly recalls meeting John Lee Hooker (Hooker had passed away in 2001). If possible, it would be great if one of our French members here could transcribe this section. Smile

Come On In My Kitchen - The host then asked if Chan and Buddy would like to play "Come On In My Kitchen" together. This being a Robert Johnson tune, Buddy would've been more than familiar with it. For her part, Chan had been playing this live for a few years now. Chan lets out and enthusiastic, "Yeah!", and grabs a different guitar. Chan has a look on her face that kind of says "I wonder how this is going to go down". Seated across from each other Chan and Buddy perform the song. Again, Chan holds down one chord for the song, A minor. Buddy adds lead guitar, also on acoustic. While its a thrill to see Chan performing with another musician (something she doesnt do a lot of outside of her regular bandmates), and especially a blues great like Buddy Guy, I just dont think the performance works that well. The whole thing seems very impromptu and I am guessing there wasnt any rehearsel. Chan herself even says "Sorry" a couple times at the end.

Here is the video:

10/22/03 - Paris, France, "Traffic Musique" 10-22-11

Last edited by Cokelike on Sun 15 Jul - 5:07; edited 1 time in total
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

10/22/03 - Paris, France, "Traffic Musique" Empty Re: 10/22/03 - Paris, France, "Traffic Musique"

Post  Nicolaoua Mon 9 Jul - 8:21

Cokelike wrote: If possible, it would be great if one of our French members here could transcribe this section. Smile

It's very difficult because the translator is not very clear in what he says:

-The first time i met him, it was here in Europe in 1965. He was playing in a Blues/Folk festival and since then i love him.

-Wasn't he a rather extraordinary man?

-Yes, i didn't know it was possible to play and sing...(i don't hear clearly what he says) and when you listen to him, you discover that it was not only "bla bla bla" but that there was something else behind it.
Nicolaoua
Nicolaoua
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/Ode-to-Chan-the-Cat-Power-forum-5496916

Back to top Go down

10/22/03 - Paris, France, "Traffic Musique" Empty Re: 10/22/03 - Paris, France, "Traffic Musique"

Post  Cokelike Mon 9 Jul - 8:23

Thank you!
Cokelike
Cokelike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down